That’s a wise choice!
Let’s get to it!
Ladies, the choice of workout shoes is endless. You can literally waste hours trying to make a meaningful decision by checking out half a dozen different websites and scrolling through hundreds of pages of opinions and consumer reviews. That’s a lot of page-turning, welcome to the internet in 2019!
Unfortunately, there are quite a few serious problems with this approach:
Sifting through hundreds of the best exercises is not only time-consuming it is also quite difficult to do objectively. So much information and so many opinions are almost bound to confuse you!
Most of the opinions out there are just that, opinions. Opinions are all well and good but if you just want a meaningful answer, straight from the experts, you need to turn to science.
|Brooks Ghost 12||Best Overall|| |
|Reebok Women's Flexagon Energy Tr||Budget Pick|| |
|adidas Ultraboost 19 Womens in True Pink/Orchid Tint||Upgrade Pick|| |
1. Brooks Ghost 12
- Perfect for intermediate to advanced runners.
- Outstanding comfort, support, and stability; no break-in period needed.
- Neutral and stable shoe for mild to moderate overpronators
- Great cushioning
- Fits wide-footed runners very well
- Great style
- Heavier shoe for everyday use.
- Not meant for speed work.
The Brooks Ghost is a neutral to mildly overpronating treadmill shoe for the moderately to well-trained runner.
It has a great new look with an updated upper that offers more space throughout the midfoot. It is also a great choice for a wider runner. The Ghost is plush, full of cushioning, and has good stability for mild overpronators. It is available in a neutral color for men and women.
It is on the heavier side when compared to other neutral shoes, so it might not get as much speed-work mileage for faster runners.
2. adidas Ultraboost 19 Womens in True Pink/Orchid Tint
- Nice colors!
- High quality materials.
- Durable construction.
- Super comfortable.
- Zero insole drop feature.
- Has an almost barefoot feel.
- Very responsive to footstrike.
- Energy returning technology – Boost.
- Size 8.5 true to size, might run slightly longer than other brands.
- Not good for wide feet or wide forefeet. Fit is narrow.
- No tread so not good for trails.
- Performance is mostly mid to forefoot.
This shoe is amazing! It is one of the top selling shoes and they are popular for good reason. They are comfortable, light and stylish. This is a good shoe for anyone with neutral feet or a mild overpronator. The opposite of a super stability shoe.
Adidas use a Boost foam midsole which has gained popularity recently. It is a unique foam that can actually return energy and spring back into shape very quickly after absorbing a shock.
The traction is ok on this shoe – it has a molded midsole without tread. It's not good on muddy or slick surfaces.
3. NOBULL Women's Training Shoes and Styles
- Support stability ankle and foot
- Good grip on the floor
- Comfortable with all-day wear
- Breathable mesh toe
- Reliable NoBull quality
- Not suitable for running
- Heel can be narrow
NOBULL is known for their stylish and performance shoes, and this new collection of training shoes is no different.
If you have ever worn the NOBULL Trainers, you know what to expect in the new collection.
They don’t provide you with a lot of support for running, but they are great for CrossFit with or without a WOD.
4. Nike Metcon 5 Women's Training Shoee
- Lighweight and comfortable to wear
- Good traction
- Good maneuverability
- Very breathable upper material
- Comes with a money back warranty
- Sold at a very reasonable price
- Very versatile shoe for both box jump workouts and weight lifting.
The Nike Metcon 5 is a natural upgrade for the Nike Metcon 3. These ones are lighter, more breathable, and offer more stability than the 3s, and don’t get us started on how many color options this all-black pair offers.
Starting off our list is the Adidas Squad III Duffel Bag. This is a great CrossFit bag to have. It’s stylish and comes in a wide range of colors.
The bag has multiple pockets and large spaces for you to put your necessary gear. The bag does include a convenient shoulder strap so you can carry it around for when you don’t need your hands.
5. ASICS Women's Gel-Nimbus 22
- High end cushioning
- Roomy toe box
- Good arch support
- Flimsy outsole out of the box
- The full-length gel cushioning felt like deadening to the foot
The Women’s Gel Nimbus 22 is the best running shoes for those who love the traditional mesh upper/foam midsole/sockliner construction. The traditional construction makes them lightweight, smooth and well ventilated.
They’re the lightest in the Gel Nimbus line and have a great fit. It also fits like a glove but the forefoot is wide enough and the toe box is deep enough. Underfoot, the Nimbus provides a flexible and soft experience.
This shoe is one of the best ASICS shoes for women. It has a comfortable fit and is suitable for everyone from beginner runners to the most advanced.
6. Reebok Women's Flexagon Energy Tr
- Keeps your feet level and stable while doing exercises like burpees or box jumps
- Very affordable
- Only weighs about 1 pound
- You can easily store them in your locker at the gym, or take them with you on a weekend trip
- Good for work, travel or school
- Some users complained that the top strap digging into their ankle
- They are quite bulky to carry around in a bag
If you are looking for “quality” and an “investment,” the Reebok Flexagon Energy Trac Plus is your best option. These shoes are designed for heavy lifting, and designed to make your life easier. They are also designed for cross-training, so they are super versatile. They will replace your hiking boots, sneaker and your fitness shoe.
The Reebok Flexagon Energy Trac Plus is a lightweight lifting shoe that features a special lace system that keeps your foot flat and stable on the floor when you are lifting weights, and they are perfect for everyone from teenage athletes to weekend warriors as well as CrossFitters.
Reebok says that you can do everything from heavy squats, dead lift and cleans to pull ups and burpees.
7. Inov-8 Womens F-Lite 235 V3
- Lightweight and highly flexible trainers for just about any CrossFit workout.
Sizing might be an issue, pay attention to the guide. Roomy toe box may be a problem as well.
The Inov-8 F-Lite 235 Women's Cross Trainer Shoes is a solid shoe for almost any WOD. It offers flexibility, while still remaining stiff and supportive, at the expense of a bit more of a snug fit. Squatting, lifting, running, rowing, and jumping, this shoe can hold up to the task.
The F-Lite 235 are ideal for CrossFit or any other high-intensity training that requires flexibility and movement.
8. Merrell Women's Vapor Glove 4 Sneaker
- Very comfortable,
- Breathable material,
- Soft and flexible,
- Great for people with narrow feet,
- Not bulky
- I like the fact this is a sneaker and not a boot, so I can wear it with skinny jeans.
- Very cute and I love the bright pink and black combination!
This Merrell’s women’s shoe is very comfortable. I have a wide foot, but this shoe fit perfectly. It is very lightweight and can be worn in different types of activities such as running, hiking, walking.
Most importantly, I like the fact that I can wear it with many outfits and pants. The shoe is very flexible; it moves with your feet. The material is breathable, and it keeps the feet fresh all day long.
These are the ten best CrossFit shoes. They are well priced, they are made of high quality materials, and they are suitable for training at fitness clubs and gyms. If you want to choose the right pair of shoes that will allow you to train properly in CrossFit, you should read this article.
9. APL: Athletic Propulsion Labs Women's Techloom Phantom Running Shoe
- Highly breathable mesh upper.
- Designed for women.
- Has best Comfort Plus footbed ever produced.
- Ergonomic, supportive fit.
- Very stable ride.
- None to speak of.
Until now, you probably only knew APL as THE brand of over-the-top men's basketball sneakers. Not any more.
The Techloom Phantom is a great example of the company’s movement into the women’s market. As you will see in our APL review, the Techloom Phantom is fabulous.
It is a comfortable, beautifully designed running shoe. It is fairly light, but it doesn’t get away with being too light. Most women’s running shoes don’t have enough support to keep you healthy for the long run. This shoe does. It is light and flexible, but still supportive and comfortable.
10. Saucony Women's Kinvara 10 Running Shoe
- Hyper Cool
- Effective traction for most types of terrain
- Comes in multiple colors
- Good for summer training
- Go from pavement to trails
- Great for moderate runners
- Not a great choice for serious runners
- Runs small. Order one size larger than your shoe size
This top rated running shoe is extremely comfortable and lightweight, which is why women love it. The upper mesh provides excellent breathability and delivers a shoe with a fit that feels super lightweight.
Women also love the midsole design and it’s traditional look and feel. It has a 21 mm heel-to-toe drop, and features Saucony’s innovative EverRun technology that is shock absorption technology for all day comfort without sacrificing efficiency.
Women can run in these Saucony’s comfortably on roads or trails and they also have an ideal directional tread for everyday running and training.
11. New Balance Women's Fresh Foam 1080 V9 Running Shoe
- Great, grippy tread
- Sturdy material and design
- Larger toe box for comfort and support
- Drainable mesh to help keep feet cool
- Very lightweight shoe
- Great support, stability, and traction
- Nice, comfortable padding
- New Balance has robust arch support
- Made by a known and trusted brand
- A very popular and well-liked shoe
- Not ideal for longer or mid-distance runs.
- The soles might feel a bit narrow to those who need wide feet.
The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 V9 is one of the best choices for a CrossFit-friendly women’s workout shoe in 2019. It is a lightweight and stable shoe that focuses on both everyday wear and serious CrossFit training.
The Fresh Foam is very versatile; it’s suitable for everything from running to CrossFit to hiking. It’s designed to be lightweight, flexible, and breathable as well.
The midsole is soft enough to allow for a wide-stance squat or lunge, but strong enough to support a high-intensity workout. Since it’s made by New Balance, you know you’re getting a well-made product that will last.
12. PUMA Women's Weave Xt Sneaker
- Durable and stylish. Weave fabric dries quickly, reduces odor.
- Highly cushioned, lightweight design.
- High-quality materials.
- With memory foam, provides superior comfort.
- Limited color options.
If you want something a little prettier than the functional ProGrid Kinvara, but not quite so high-fashion as the Boston Super Solar, check out these.
These women’s Pumas are lightweight, durable, and sport a unique weave fabric.
The Puma Women’s Weave Xt has stretchy, lock-down laces in the tongue and collar. The laces go all the way up the sides of the shoe, and the tongue is padded, but not too padded.
13. ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 26 Running Shoes
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Good for running, walking and cross training
- Perfect for those who are on their feet for long periods of time
- Shallow custom fit design
- Breathable mesh panels and upper
- The foot will slide forward if it is too narrow
- Some users complained that the shoe is not stylish
The ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 26 running shoes are perfect for women who are looking for a running shoe that will keep their feet comfortable while they move. They are good for running, walking, and cross training. This shoe is also perfect for those who are on their feet for long periods of time. The shoe is lightweight so your feet won’t feel weighed down. For those who have high arches, the shoe will also be comfortable.
They have a shallow custom fit design that uses a top eyelet lace and midfoot strap for a secure hold that only gives the support and feel that you need. They are also moisture managing so your feet will stay dry and comfortable during your workout. The breathable mesh panels and upper will also keep your feet cool.
The ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 26 shoe is a good, versatile running shoe for women that can be used at the gym.
14. Nike Women's Fitness Shoes
- Easy to slip on/off
- Padded heel provides extra cushioning
- Great value for the price
- Machine washable
- Sturdy bottom sole
- Fits true to size
- Several color options
- The insole is very thin and provides little cushioning.
Are you in need of the best shoe for a workout? This is the shoe for you. Even though the sole is sturdy, it is comfortable and feels great during a workout.
This shoe is also true to size. The bottom sole is sturdy and well made. This allows for a good workout.
This is one of the best shoes for working out. These shoes are also machine washable.
15. ALTRA AFW1976P Women's HIIT XT 2 Road Running Shoe
- Great for treadmill runs.
- Outsole design gives traction and grip.
- Dense foam is great for impact absorption
- Color options are great
- Comfortable and supportive upper
- Breathable mesh comfortable for all-day wear
- Strategically placed padding for comfort.
- Upper is made of mesh and synthetic leather
- Tread is IP-X3 rated, good for running in the rain
- Heavy shoe for daily wear
- Outsole not suitable for daily wear
The Altra Women’s HIIT XT 2 runs slightly smaller than the other shoe options. If you buy your normal size, you will find that the shoes are too small. Since there are many nice colors available, it is best to try them on in the store to be sure you have the right size. Also, the shoes are heavy, and you will not want to wear them if you will be doing other activities besides running. One last thing is there is no arch support and the footbed is made of hard plastic. These two issues can cause you discomfort. The outsole is not designed for walking around as it isn’t made for walking on cement or pavement. So even though it is a nice cross training shoe, it will feel uncomfortable and hard to wear on a daily basis.
16. Inov-8 F-Train 240
- A sneaker that can work as a shoe for a myriad of environments.
- Ideal CrossFit shoe
- Deep grooves spread weight across the bottom to increase stability and grip.
- Comfortable, lightweight, appropriate for indoors, outdoors, and on the road.
- Fits true to size.
- The outsole and upper are both highly durable.
- The shoe is lightweight, breathable, and firm.
- The bright pink color is fun and eye-catching, and the style is highly functional and attractive.
- Functional enough for high-intensity training, but great to throw on for everyday, active wear.
- This thin-soled CrossFit shoe can help you increase your speed and intensity of movements.
- This shoe can feel too mild for CrossFitters who could benefit from a bit more stability.
- The traction on this shoe is not as rugged as the Reebok Nano 4.0s.
17. Nike Women's Running Shoes
- Most cushion and support of the three.
- Provides good support for your joints.
- Upper material quality is quite good.
- Barely noticeable that they’re on your foot.
- Breathable shoes with mesh accents at top and bottom.
- Very small heel-toe drop.
- Embossed design along with the pattern.
- Lightyears better style than foam.
- Most expensive.
- Weaker color options.
- Mesh is susceptible to becoming dirty.
- Not the lightest-weight shoes.
- Among the least breathable shoes.
All of these shoes are unique and serve the athletic user well. None are perfect for everyone. But, they do all serve a distinct purpose. In the end, it just depends upon your preference.
18. PUMA Women's Speed Sutamina Sneaker
- Solid, durable design.
- Carrys a great look.
- Mesh lining.
- Excellent traction and shock absorption.
- Affordable price tag.
- Runs narrow and small.
- Elastic straps are kind of a pain to adjust.
The PUMA Women's Speed Sutamina Sneaker is a performance running shoe, it has a mid-cut from heel to midfoot to provide ankle support and stability. This shoe is lightweight with a solid, durable design. It carries a great look with a mesh lining and bright colors.
This shoe has excellent traction with an IBR+ outsole that maximizes cushioning and shock absorption. It has a stretchable fabric upper that molds to your foot and a smooth lining for maximum comfortable and moisture wicking.
This comfortable and stylish shoe is great for running, cross training, and fitness training. It is affordable and will look good with your activewear while you are out and about.
19. Under Armour Women's HOVR Phantom Running Shoe
- Max-cushioning midsole
- Adjustable fit lacing
- Quick-dry upper
- No-sew material for reduced irritation
- Upper foam layer for extra comfort & cushioning
Bottom line: The Under Armour HOVR Phantom will provide remarkable comfort for any athlete. With its lightweight design, one can go about their training routine with ease & comfort. Its superior style makes it everybody’s favorite. You’ll be the coolest girl in the gym.
The Under Armour Women’s HOVR Phantom features an exciting fit-for-purpose design that includes auto-adjusting laces. This means that they will be able to provide you with a custom fit throughout your entire workout. Its lightweight design will make you feel like you’re wearing running shoes.
The upper foam of the shoe is made of a revolutionary no-sew material that will dissipate heat better than many of its competitors as well as provide superior comfort. This shoe also has an excellent midsole cushioning. The foam is thick and will dampen the shock from walking or running on both hard and soft surfaces. The traction will also keep you from slipping on wet floors.
20. Mizuno Women's TC-02 Cross Trainer
- Durable outsole.
- Firm heel cups provide good stability and traction.
- Comfortable, even for running long distances.
- Air mesh venting keeps feet cool.
- Flexible uppers allow your feet to move naturally.
- Hugs the arch and contours to your foot while not feeling tight or pinching.
- Outsole rating of 8 out of 10 for durability.
- Inexpensive price tag.
- Factory lacing allows the tongue to slip side to side causing a slightly disjointed fit.
- Slight odor on new shoes but the odor goes away after a few days.
The Mizuno Women’s TC-02 Trainer is a shoe that is perfect for everyday workouts. It is great for running, walking, jogging, and aerobics. It provides plenty of support and cushioning during walks and runs, even when running long distances. The upper provides a taut fit that keeps your feet stable, while the outsole provides excellent traction for mowing through workouts.
Although it is a great multi-purpose shoe, it is probably best as a walking shoe rather than a running shoe.
21. HOKA ONE ONE Women’s Cavu Running Shoe
- Full ground contact and support.
- Breathable and comfortable.
- Superior cushioning and support for running.
- Cushioned topsole and an extra-deep heel cup for a comfortable, glove-like fit.
- Kinetic Fit system for a more natural range of motion.
- Feels heavy but not as bulky as you’d expect.
- Women’s version feels a bit narrow on the feet.
- Insole is a bit slippery and sweaty, but an aftermarket insole fixes the problem, although it’s not recommended by the manufacturers since the shoe fits so well.
Hoka One One is one of the most unique midsoles in the shoe industry. Hoka has a cult following because they make some of the most comfortable shoes on the market.
The Hoka One One women’s version of the Cavu is an extremely comfortable running shoe that is designed to deliver a more natural and unrestricted running experience. It’s definitely not for minimalist-minded runners who enjoy barefoot or lightweight shoes.
22. On Running Womens Cloud X Mesh White Black Trainers 8 US
- Attractive design
- Impressive traction
- Breathable mesh uppers
- Comfortable fit
- Impact control and cushioning
The On Cloud is a nice light, cushiony trainer that can be worn for long runs that provide excellent support and comfort. It is well-designed trainer that offers plenty of padding and features a breathable mesh upper that keeps you cool.
The Cloud is also a good choice of trainer for your less than marathon long runs. It is highly cushioned but gives you enough impact support and stability to maintain your performance.
This shoe is a good choice of trainer for women of all experience levels and at an affordable price. The Cloud X is well constructed and looks great but you will need to be careful about durability because it is not made with the highest quality materials.
23. Ryka Women's Devotion Xt Mid Cross Trainer
- Super comfy
- Great price
- One year warranty.
This is a good option for a casual training shoe. It works well for cross fit training and daily activities. They are really soft to wear, they are comfortable and well cushioned.
They have a secure fit, and they feel secure. The shoes are also well ventilated and they don’t seem to get smelly.
Their traction is good and they don’t slip. The upper material is soft and elastic. It is thin, so you won’t have to worry about it ripping. The colors are bright and nice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the most popular shoes in 2020?
It's pretty clear there is a trend for both Nike women's Flyknit models, the Vapor Flyknit and the Epic React Flyknit, which are not just our most popular but the most popular shoes overall among our female fitness reviewers. For the men, the Nano 8 , Men's Metcon 4 , Men's Epic React Flyknit and Men's Vapor Flyknit Flyknit all being solid picks worth checking out.
What are the best shoes for gym workouts?
Gym shoes are designed to take a lot of punishment, and it’s important for women to choose kickboxing shoes that are not only comfortable but also durable. Comfort is one of the main things that you should look at when you are searching for the best workout shoes for women since it is very common for high end workout shoes to be uncomfortable. When you are going to spend a lot of time doing cardio workouts, such as kickboxing, it’s imperative that you select workout shoes that are going to be very comfortable to wear. You can keep the quality of your workout up when you are wearing comfortable shoes and won’t be distracted by thinking about how your shoes are hurting you.
What are the best sneakers for HIIT training?
Nike Metcon 4:
If you're looking for the perfect everyday-bruiser, though, the Nike Metcon 4 is tough to beat. With roughly 30,000 reviews on Amazon, the Metcon holds 4.4 stars in terms of overall satisfaction. If you're familiar with Nike's Metcon series, you're probably well aware of the shoe's extremely solid build quality and stylish design. And if you aren't familiar with Nike's Metcon series, the Metcon 4 is a fantastic introduction given its combination of performance and style.
ASICS GEL-FOUNDATION TR 5:
What are the best shoes for circuit training?
When you are doing circuit training, you need a shoe that lets you out of one activity, then right into the next. A good shoe for circuit training will have some kind of sticky rubber outsole, so you don’t slip on the vinyl flooring. Since you’re constantly jumping from one station to the next, you want a shoe that is very light.
It’s also a good idea to get a shoe that has a shallow toe box. As you jump around, you’ll be planting and pivoting more than you’re making hard impact with the ground. A shoe with a deep toe box will force you to modify the way you’re landing, and liable to cause you knee issues later on.
When you're killing yourself at the gym, you want to go into it in style. Lucky for you, the market is flooded with the best workout shoes for women.
Did you know that every one of your workouts can be assisted, improved, and supported via the right piece of footwear?
In the review below you will find the absolute top 23 best women’s workout shoes reviewed and ranked for you to purchase.
As we all know, the internet is full of cheap knockoffs, so we've decided to include the Amazon reviews as well.
|Brooks Ghost 12||Best Overall|| |
|Reebok Women's Flexagon Energy Tr||Budget Pick|| |
|adidas Ultraboost 19 Womens in True Pink/Orchid Tint||Upgrade Pick|| |