|NEWTON BOCO All Terrain Women's Running Shoe||Best Overall|
|Saucony Women's Xodus ISO 3 Sneaker||Budget Pick|
|Nike Air Zoom Wildhorse 5 Women's Running Shoe||Upgrade Pick|
1. NEWTON BOCO All Terrain Women's Running Shoe
- Built-in shock absorption for comfort and support
- Women-specific design for comfort and support
- Padded tongue and collar for additional comfort
- Abrasion resistant outsole for durability and stability
- Comfortable and breathable padded mesh
- Moisture-wicking, antimicrobial lining
- Soft leather upper provides a comfortable fit
- Lightweight and flexible outsole for natural movement
- Tread not very aggressive.
- Slightly heavier than other models.
Long distance trail running. The Newton Women’s All-Terrain Running Shoes are built for a comfortable and natural ride while providing the cushioning and support necessary to keep runners moving mile after mile.
The All-Terrain has been a go-to in long distance trail running for quite some time now. This updated women’s version has taken their outstanding features and tailored them to meet the needs of today’s trail runners.
The Newton Women’s All-Terrain Running Shoe is built with a breathable, moisture-wicking mesh upper. The design of the shoe provides the comfort and support runners need on the trails or road without sacrificing their style.
2. Salomon Women's Speedcross 4 W Trail Running
- Great color selection
- Extremely durable with a burly frame
- Good traction
- Super comfortable
- Works well on trails and roads
- Gore-Tex waterproofing
- Very reasonably priced
- Laces are pretty short
- Not as stable as other shoe at high speeds
How can you improve on one of the best and most popular trail shoes of all time? By improving its speed characteristics while retaining its trail shoe vitality. So Salomon has done this.
With the new Speedcross 4, Salomon has addressed the issue of stability and heel lift. Salomon has done this by beefing up the midsole by adding a full-length EVERRIDE foam that is one-third wider than before. The midsole connects directly to the outsole, which allows for more direct foot-to-ground contact.
Adding support to the lacing system is the fact that the common Salomon lace-lock system is now doubled up. This helps to eliminate heel lift when running.
3. Merrell Women's Glove 4 Trail Runner
- Sensible design
- Stable in rugged terrain
- Great traction
- Heel could use more cushioning.
If you’re looking for the best lightweight women’s trail running shoes, then these are a sensible choice. The Glove 4 is a bit more rugged than many women’s trail runners that tend to have a lot of mesh or fly wire.
The Glove is built out of Merrell’s WildFusion rubber, which is actually a technology they first brought into the running shoe industry with the SONA Surge. And there are many other features that are ideal for high-energy workouts.
At 330 grams, they are lightweight. I was able to move at a faster pace with these shoes than I can with many other trail runners.
4. Saucony Women's Xodus ISO 3 Sneaker
- The arch support is wide and sturdy. This is not a shoe where your arch will collapse.
- The sole is firm and responsive. It builds strength in legs and feet.
- The shoe is lightweight and easy to maneuver during long distances.
- The fabric is breathable in summer and wind-proof in winter.
- The outsole is versatile. It is durable and can be used across terrains and surfaces.
- The fabric can be a bit itchy.
- The fabric doesn’t last long. It is not durable.
- It doesn’t work well with socks.
The Saucony Women’s Xodus ISO 3 Sneaker looks attractive and the outsole is versatile. The arch support is wide and sturdy. This is not a shoe where your arch will collapse. The sole is firm and responsive. It builds strength in legs and feet. It is lightweight and easy to maneuver during long distances. It is comfortable to wear throughout most of the day. You can wear it in the city and suburbs with your everyday attire.
5. Altra AFW1755F Women's Lone Peak 3.5 Shoes
- High quality materials included in high-performance shoe
- Great traction for trails and the gym
- Fantastic arch support
- Breathable upper climate control
- Removable insole for customized feel
- Very heavy
- Birka wool sock required
- All sizes are not available
This running shoe is ideal if you want comfort along with performance. For women, this shoe has a high top design with extra lacing loops so you can customize your fit, from the mid foot all the way up to the ankle.
It also has a foot shield that reduces shock, extra padding under the toes, and a breathable upper with mesh panels and extended support that provides protection without making the shoe feel heavy. The outsole is rugged and reinforced to provide good support and traction for trails.
If you are used to running in minimalist running shoes, you may not initially like the feel of this shoe. In fact, you may decide it’s not for you. The shoe’s foot control top is for stability and not for light, quick feel.
6. Nike Women's Air Zoom Terra Kiger 4 Running Shoe
- Lightweight and breathable.
- Very comfortable and well-padded.
- Tread is ideal for running on any surface.
- Fits true to size.
- Very durable and waterproof.
- Perhaps a bit narrow for wider feet.
- Slightly lacks arch support for certain people.
The Nike Women’s Air Zoom Terra Kiger 4 is a top running shoe that is great for both men and women. These shoes are lightweight and breathable, so they won’t slow you down or make you extra sweaty. They also have a water-repellent design, so they won’t get soaking wet during all of your outdoor adventures.
The Terra Kiger 4 is made for trail running, so they’re made to handle different kinds of terrains and ground levels. The tread is specially designed for extra traction, so they’ll be great for going off-roading.
7. Nike Air Zoom Wildhorse 5 Women's Running Shoe
- Comfortable on hard surfaces, both light trails and road running
- Textured mesh keeps feet dry
- Texture provides some amount of ruggedness
- No seams cause blistering
- Wide outsole does provide some traction on rocky surfaces
- Wide toe box, enough to wear hiking socks in comfortably
- Sturdy, reliable shoe construction
- Heel is a softer material, not necessarily a problem but should be noted
- Some users have noted that the grip wears out quickly
These are stylish yet rugged shoes that provide decent traction even on rocky surfaces. They take some effort to break in, but once they do they are very comfortable and offer no blisters. One user noted that the braiding around the toe area started to pull apart after a few months, but said it wasn’t a big deal for her. These shoes are lightweight and comfortable.
Most women found the very small dots in the bottom of the shoes let them take on a run and stay competitive in athletic issues, and said they were lightweight enough to wear in the gym or yoga class without feeling like you have anchors on your feet.
8. Merrell Women's All Out Blaze Aero Sport Hiking Water Shoe
- Style and design are incredibly popular with consumers.
- Rubber outsole provides great traction and durability.
- Cushioned midsole brings comfort to the trail.
- Thin mesh sidewalls provide airflow.
- Footbed isn’t very comfortable.
- Runs small, so you may want to order up a half size.
The Merrell All Out Blaze Aero Sport is a fantastic running shoe for women who enjoy hiking or trail running. It is comfortable and has a low-profile design that makes it perfect for off-road trails.
The upper is made from suede and textile materials so it is fairly breathable and water-resistant. However, it isn’t made from waterproof materials, so you may want to buy a water-resistant sock.
These shoes have a mesh lining that gives them a great amount of ventilation, and you can choose from both blue and pink colors. They are extremely lightweight, weighing just 6.3 ounces which makes them a nice option for women who are looking to burn some extra calories.
9. ASICS Women's Gel-Kahana 8 Trail Runner
- Lightweight, cushioned, responsive
- The lacing system is simple and yet stable
- Lighter, thinner materials on the upper
- Durable sole
- Plenty of room in the toe box
There’s a lot to like about the ASICS Women’s Gel Kahana 8.5. If you’re looking for a trail runner, you’ve taken a step in the right direction, because this one really checks off a lot of the boxes.
For one thing, it looks great. The black is fairly simple and elegant, and the lighter gray mesh in the midfoot and toebox adds visual interest.
Plus, you can wear this one all day, and that really sets it apart from other trail runners. That’s because the upper fabric has been thinned out, with no noticeable impact on durability.
10. Inov-8 Women's Roclite 290 Trail Runner
- A lightweight shoe with a stable structure.
- Perfect for varying terrains.
- Great value for the money.
- The fit might feel too narrow for some.
- This is the best running shoes for hiking and for walking, and in 2019 their expert design and lightweight construction made them an outstanding choice for runners all over the world.
The Roclite 290 has a robust, stable structure combined with a lightweight upper and strong Vibram outsole. It has rock protection and excellent trail grip due to the toe cap design and outsole.
One of the most prominent features of the shoe is its aggressive outsole lug structure. It gives you a stable, durable grip no matter where you run, and the lugs have a similar design to a motorcycle tire.
The nylon midsole and EVA cushioning system give you a comfortable, lightweight cushioning for all your treks. The synthetic upper is durable and allows your foot to breathe, and the toe cap is there to protect you no matter where you run. The Roclite 290 is best suited for runners who want a shoe that provides durability and stability.
11. ALTRA Women's Superior 3.5 Sneaker
- Sturdy, stable, and supportive
- Ankle stability for trail runners
- Minimal foot fatigue
- Wide toe box for great comfort
- Quality construction that is built to last.
- Rear pull tab for convenience
- Some customers find them to be a little heavy.
- Some customers find the sizing to be a little off.
Altra produces a good quality shoe designed for trail running. This is probably one of the best women’s trail running shoes on the market. Its technology and design have been fine-tuned with input from fit and movement specialists.
The Superior 3.5s are made for rugged trails and weather. Many active outdoorswomen wear these shoes on hikes, climbs, and long trail runs. The rubber sole is thick and durable yet soft enough to give the foot some flexibility. The duraguard technology prevents any shredding or wearing through of the outsole.
12. La Sportiva Women's Mutant Backcountry Trail Running Shoe
- The proprietary Wild-grip soft compound toe and the new Traction-Trac rubber sole work in tandem to make sure you never slip and slide.
- Ultra-grip rubber toe cap that will help you climb up rocks and other challenging terrain with ease.
- A durable, weather-resistant Speed Lacing System which allows for quick and precise fastening and loosening of boots.
- Outsole is Vibram with level 2 Megagrip compound which facilitates excellent traction.
- A multi-layer, fully gusseted tongue with a lace pocket for a better fit and extra shoelace protection.
- The Mi-Lock lacing system keeps your shoe tight, so you can concentrate on your journey.
- While the shoe is mostly comfortable and can take long strides, it can cause blisters for new users who do not know how to use them.
- The shoe might be a bit narrow for people with wide feet.
The La Sportiva Women’s Mutant is an amazing choice for trail runners who do not want to compromise both quality and comfort while being on the move.
13. Dynafit Alpine Pro Running Shoe
- Low-top with built-in ankle support
- Lightweight and flexible
- Breathable and moisture wicking
- Designed for running and backpacking
- Dense, abrasion-resistant outsole
- Super comfortable and durable
- Women-specific fit and construction
This trail running shoe is the 2016 update and the fourth generation of the popular Quantum model. This version is specifically made for women and uses a women-specific last and is slightly more narrow than the men’s version.
It is designed for trail running as well as mountain backpacking and hiking. It has a waterproof upper made of abrasion-resistant fabric that is breathable and moisture-wicking. It has a supportive heel collar and a 3D foam tongue for extra comfort. The Dynafit Alpine Pro also has an internal heat-molded insole for a more secure fit. It has a rubber outsole with a mix of lugs on the bottom for grip on rocky trails. The outsole is puncture-resistant.
If you liked the previous version of this shoe then you will love this one! It has all of the attributes of its predecessor but is even better.
14. La Sportiva Women's Bushido II Running Shoe
- Ultra-comfortable for all-day wear.
- Air-cushioned footbed.
- Also available in men’s version.
- Lightweight, flexible upper.
- Excellent traction on multiple terrain.
- Rubber outsole for good stability.
- Flexible and breathable upper.
- Very stable.
- Revised last with two more stability settings than the original.
- Terrific heel support.
- Some dislike the heel pocket.
- A bit heavy perhaps.
- Some dislike the rounded heel that doesn’t fit into their trail shoe boxes.
This one of the leading pairs of comfort shoes for women that has become something of a classic in running. This is the perfect shoe for women who love to take their shoes off at the end of a run, too, as it does not have a tongue.
15. Columbia Women's Alpine FTG Sneaker
- Cute summer color
- Comfortable for most kinds of activity
- Velcro closure for easy on/off
- Good arch support
- Excellent toe box
- Good traction
- Zero drop
One of the most important things for trail running is a good cushioning system. These shoes provide plenty of cushioning in all the right places.
The foot bed is cushioned and cushioned with a Rock Shield. The toe box is roomy and the arch support is decent.
The Arc’teryx Bora2 Mid GTX is one of the best women’s trail running shoes available for 2019.
16. adidas outdoor Women's Terrex Tracerocker W Trail Running Shoe
- The shoe is very comfortable to wear.
- It has a blend of mesh and suede and other fabrics in the upper.
- It is a very great-looking shoe.
- The shoe may fit a bit small.
This is an outdoor shoe for women that is designed to be perfect for hiking or running on trails. The uppers are made of mesh and suede. The lacing system is made of plastic and supported by anchoring eyelets. The midsole is made of EVA and is designed to be durable.
There is also a rubber toe box in the shoe, which is important for trail hiking or running in case the shoe in question goes into a stream. The lugs on the outsole are made of Pirelli rubber, which is meant to assure traction. The lightweight design helps keep the consumer comfortable while trail hiking or running.
This shoe will keep a consumer’s feet comfortable as they run on trails or hike on them. The shoe is supportive and is feminine and attractive. It is a great choice for women who enjoy the outdoors and would like a reliable hiking or trail running shoe.
17. Hoka Challenger ATR 3 Women's Trail Running Shoes
- Very lightweight and breathable.
- Extremely cushioned and supportive.
- Good traction for a softer shoe.
- Available in wide sizes.
- Maximum width is 360mm.
- Various color combinations available.
- Heel drop is 10mm.
- Thin heel counter.
- Ankle stability is average.
- Heel collar not as plush as advertised.
- Useless lacing and eyelet design.
Hoka was first in the trail running game to add extra cushioning to their trail running shoes, it was a big hit. It was nice to know that hmm maybe running on a hard surface doesn’t have to be as hard on your joints. Now a couple of years later for the 2017 trail running season we have the Hoka Challenger ATR 3.
18. New Balance Women's Minimus 10 V1 Trail Running Shoe
- Low-to-the-ground feel
- Anatomic foot-shape goes above and beyond with rock protection.
- Incredible traction on the trail.
- Minimal, lightweight design for more stability.
- Drop-in midsole adds structure and support without added bulk.
- Runs small so you may need to size up for the best fit.
- Support foam may wear down after long term use.
The New Balance Women’s Minimus 10 V1 is a trail shoe intended for lightweight, all-purpose use. It features a minimalist approach with a wide toe box for comfort.
The Minimus 10 is highly durable and can be used for many types of physical activity. The shoe has a breathable mesh upper and a very low-to-the-ground feel, so you can feel the environment more and get a solid grip.
The Minimus 10 V1 also features a removable rock plate to protect your feet from the rock-strewn trails and hills that you’ll encounter on your next adventure.
19. La Sportiva Women's Wildcat Trail Running Shoe
- Superior support for low-volume feet
- Great stability
- Great traction
- Poor arch support for high arches
- Odd lugs on rubber soles
This trail running shoe for women from La Sportiva is somewhat heavy. This is due to a combination of its tread design and the durable materials used to build the shoe. It’s an ideal shoe for people who hike and run in rugged terrains.
Check current price here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best cushioning trail running shoe?
The best cushioning trail running shoes will be the shoes best suited to your running environment. If you run primarily on flat, hard pavements, you will not need very much cushioning. If, on the other hand, you run on trails in rough terrains, you will need to look for a shoe with ample cushioning.
If you are a trail runner, you need to look at trail running shoes, not simply neutral shoes or stability shoes. Most trail shoes have a grippy outsole, which is also a key feature, and this is essentially a tire tread pattern. Expect a trail shoe to be made of a mixture of materials.
What is the best all terrain running shoe?
The Brooks Women’s Beast 14 is the best running shoe for most people. The Brooks Hydro 5 is the best overall training shoe for the money. If you need a zero drop running shoe, the Altra Lone Peak 3.0. If you run trails, either the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 or the Brooks Cascadia 12.
What are the best trail running shoes 2019?
Remember that scoring a perfect 10 will be very, very rare for every type of shoe, even those that are ranked the best. The reality is that scoring an 8 or higher out of 10 is hard to find for the best, cheap running shoes for men. However, these will allow you to do some training.
If you are a firm believer in only running on trails, you should take a look at our best ladies trail running shoes page, in which we give you a few more options to choose from.
For those who want to look at running shoes for training and running on the road, below you will find the best running shoes for men.
Keep in mind that these shoes will also work for you for trail running if you want to run a few miles on trails, but they are not recommended for trail running if there is a lot of technical trail with rocks and tree roots.
Which women's running shoes have the most cushioning?
Generally speaking, running shoes designed for women will have more cushioning than will men's running shoes. While this is partially because women need more cushioning, it is also because most men's running shoes are meant for a more recreational or occasional runner, and thus don't need a lot of cushioning.
What does this mean to you? You may need to try several different women's running shoes before you find one that you like. Because a woman's running shoe is cushioned more than a man's, it might be a little bit softer in the type of firmness you are looking for. You might find a men's running shoe that feels firmer than you are looking for.
Thanks to the popularity of events such as the Tough Mudder, obstacle course races are becoming more and more popular for both men and women. Many of these events involve running distances of around ten to 12 miles over different types of terrain, and as you might expect they can be pretty tough.
If you are hoping to take part in one of these events and want to make sure your feet are protected while you are out doing it, you should definitely think about investing in some good quality running shoes.
|NEWTON BOCO All Terrain Women's Running Shoe||Best Overall|
|Saucony Women's Xodus ISO 3 Sneaker||Budget Pick|
|Nike Air Zoom Wildhorse 5 Women's Running Shoe||Upgrade Pick|