Waterproof running shoes are a great choice for runners looking to get outside more often and may even prevent you from missing your workout in a downpour.
These waterproof running shoes are lightweight, ergonomically designed, and have specialized soles designed to make running through the rain a non-issue.
Finding the right pair of waterproof running shoes for the trails or the road can be a daunting task. Below is a list of some of the best waterproof running shoes available on the market in 2019.
Bookmark this page to reference back to when you are shopping for your next pair of running shoes.
|The North Face Ultra 109 GTX||Best Overall|
|Saucony Women's Ride 8 Running Shoe||Budget Pick|
|Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo Shield Womens||Upgrade Pick|
1. The North Face Ultra 109 GTX
- Tactile Feel – the leather and TNFdry membrane keeps your feet dry and comfy
- Traction and Support – the Vibram sole gives you some decent grip for stability on uneven terrain
- Stability – the GORE-TEX liner keeps your feet stable and comfortable
- Weight – these boots tend to be on the heavier side of lightweight hiking boots.
The North Face Ultra 109 GTX Hikers are best for walking and hiking over rugged, uneven terrain. The hiking boot that provides you with superior traction and great support and stability.
It also provides you with a GORE-TEX liner to keep your feet dry, comfy and supported no matter what the weather does. For extra comfort, the North Face included a lightweight and breathable TNFdry membrane on the inside to keep your feet dry.
The Vibram sole grip is great when you are traveling on slippery or unstable ground and also provides you with decent support. All of this is housed within a lightweight, durable boot that provides stability anywhere you go.
2. adidas Men's Pureboost RBL
- Bright color selection
- High-performance boost midsole compound
- Breathable mesh uppers
- Durable and hardwearing
- Solid support base
- Removable EVA foam insole
- Runs a little tight
- Lacks arch support
When it comes to running shoes, the Adidas Pureboost runs second to none. Adidas began developing the Adidas Pureboost line of running sneakers back in 2011 with the best technologies and features.
They wanted to create something that would enhance your performance by ensuring a fast, smooth, and stable ride. The key to this is the boost midsole, which is one of the most comfortable and durable on the market.
The Adidas Pureboost running shoes have some weight to them, but they are still surprisingly light. This is because Adidas has added a mesh upper to ensure your feet are well ventilated.
3. Saucony Men's Versafoam Excursion Tr13 Road Running Shoe
- Perfect blend of road and trail running shoe
- Lightweight and breathable
- Great for long runs due to comfortable upper
- Very good traction and lightweight
One of the best things that anyone can say about this shoe is that it will do just about everything that you want from a trail shoe. It has a minimalist overlays and a mesh upper that helps to keep your feet cool without being too heavy.
The Saucony Kinvara 6 also has the signature heel of Saucony, which many people love, because it keeps your heel from slipping out when you’re running.
Even with a price tag a bit higher than some other running shoes. The Kinvara 6 is definitely worth the price tag. As it is a very durable shoe that can be used on the road and on the trails. Even though it was not made explicitly for trails, it can handle some very tough trails.
4. Salomon Men's Xa Pro 3D CSWP Trail Running
- Compression-molded EVA midsole
- Impact-absorbing EVA footbed
- TPU shank provides lateral stability and torsional rigidity during trail running
- Asymmetrical lacing enhances comfort
- High abrasion rubber in high-wear areas for increased durability
- TPU lace support and heel counter for torsional rigidity
The Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D CSWP Trail Running Shoes have been rated 5.0 out of 5.
These are men's trail running shoes for someone looking hard and heavy use. Excellent traction, stability and durability.
5. ALTRA Men's Lone Peak 4 Low RSM Waterproof Trail Running Shoe
- No break-in period, comfortable and ready to use right out of the box.
- Excellent traction on dirt, mud, and dry leafy terrain.
- Very breathable for hot climates, especially with the mesh upper.
- Wide toe box allows proper foot function for mid- and forefoot strikers.
- Excellent cushioning with the midsole.
- Very durable, especially with the reinforced high wear areas.
- Hyper grip outsole is a great wet and muddy traction system.
- Laces are not the most durable.
- Sizing might be off.
- Some slight issues with the shoe’s fit.
- Some issues with durability.
- Materials can stain easily.
This is one of the best running trail shoes available on the market today. It’s perfect for any runner that’s looking for a solid hiking shoe.
The ALTRA Men’s Lone Peak 4 Low is a solid, well-built shoe with many great features. It’s a rugged hiking shoe that’s made for the performance and everyday adventures.
6. La Sportiva Men's Ultra Raptor GTX Trail Running Shoe
- Sturdy and solid as a rock
- Very comfortable for all day wear
- Waterproof Gore-Tex membrane
- Y-shaped lacing style might not provide enough lateral support
- Might feel too heavy for some users
- Slight squeaking noise when wearing
This is one of the best all-around hiking shoes for men. They have a Gore-Tex waterproof membrane and Omni-Tech waterproofing system. What is nice about GORE-TEX is that the membrane is laminated underneath the fabric, providing additional waterproofing and breathability.
The fit feels a little larger, but this helps if you have wider feet. The extra room lets you wear a thicker sock without having your feet feel squeezed.
The shoes are mid-height, and they have a sturdy, wide sole that helps your foot remain stable as you walk. They also feature a minimal heel and a nice rugged tread.
7. Saucony Women's Ride 8 Running Shoe
- Very nice and smooth fit
- Spacious forefoot and roomy toe box
- Good cushioning
- Upgraded tech features
- Kinda narrow
- Not suitable for runners with wide feet.
The Saucony Women’s Ride 8 has a plush ride with nice cushioning. The “switch technology provides a softer forefoot and a firmer heel,” which fills in the bottom of your step. Here’s another selection for women who are looking for the best trail running shoes on the market. The shoe is somewhat lightweight, with a wide base and good cushioning to absorb shock. The Saucony Women’s Ride 8 is a nice and comfortable shoe for everyday running. The Saucony Women’s Ride 8 is a nice pick for everyday training, but is not really suitable for running with a pack.
8. Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo Shield Womens
- Very breathable mesh uppers let your feet breathe
- Well-cushioned for long-distance comfort
- Watertight, water-repellent upper lets you stay dry and comfortable
- Durable rubber outsole
- Ideal for road running
- Several vibrant, stylish color options are available
- Reflective elements make you more visible in low light
- Heel digs into the ankle
- Runners with high arched feet may experience discomfort
- Digging design may leave you feel less springy
The Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo Shield running shoes are ideal for road running. The shoes have a breathable mesh upper that allows air to circulate to your feet to keep them cool and comfortable, even over long distances.
A well-cushioned mid-sole provides impact protection from heelstrike to toe-off. A durable rubber sole provides great traction and balance. The upper is water and water resistant, helping to keep you dry as you run.
Various color options are available.
9. Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 21 GTX Running Shoes
- Fantastic fit
- Great traction on all surfaces
- Long term value (they won't wear out the first time you take them out)
We love this shoe! The Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 21 GTX Running Shoes are made for the high performance runner and to give us a stable ride. It has a great fit and is built with durability in mind.
Although it may not have as much cushioning as some of the other running shoes on the market, it still delivers a very comfortable ride and is a great shoe if you are running long distance. The Wave cushioning system gives the shoe a great combination of responsiveness and softness. It also has a springy, foot-friendly gait and heel pocket which makes for a more stable ride.
The Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 21 GTX Running Shoes also fit true to size, so you should be good to go ordering the size you wear normally. The shoe is sold in a few color variations, so you will find the one that best fits your personal style. The shoe stands up to diverse surfaces, so you can take the shoes out for a run on trails, sidewalks, and pavement and they will do what they are supposed to do. They are great running shoes that are built for the long haul.
10. Salomon Women's Speedcross 4 GORE-TEX Trail Running Shoes
- Moisture-wicking mesh upper with synthetic overlays for durability and support.
- Secure, comfortable fit.
- Highly abrasion-resistant and long lasting with GORE-TEX technology.
- Shock absorbing midsole.
- Contagrip outsole for great traction on a variety of surfaces.
- Quicklace system for easy on and off.
- Colors: black/white, white/purple, black/purple, orange/white
- Sizes: women's 5-10, 11
- Sizes go up to a size 11. If you wear anything larger, you won't find a good fit.
- Feels narrow for people with wider feet.
- Apart from black/white, the colors are all very bold and bright.
The Salomon Women's SPEEDCROSS 4 GORE Tex Trail Running Shoes are perfect for the runner who trains in all types of conditions. Their GORE-TEX technology offers unmatched waterproof and breathable protection from the elements.
These shoes are designed to be both fast and rugged, with a design that is built for a variety of surfaces from mud and rock to grass or pavement. It has an EVA midsole that delivers shock absorption, plus a Contagrip outsole that provides the ultimate grip on almost any surface.
11. SCARPA Neutron 2 Gore-TEX Women's Alpine Trail Running Shoes
- Lightweight: weight 230 g
- Easy to put on and off, thanks to a quick lacing system
- Plenty of support
- Holds the foot in place effectively.
- The shoe is wider for hiking
- No rubber toe rand
- Not a heavy-duty hiking shoe but great for hiking
We have great news for you ladies, if you have a new hiking partner with your family.
These shoes are one of the great pairs of shoes for hiking women. Breathe well, the outsole is rugged and the shoes were built with convenience in mind. They are compatible with a good pair of hiking boots. Aerobically speaking, it will maintain an ideal body temperature while outdoors. This shoe is designed for comfort, style and function.
It absorbs shock nicely and kicks up debris instead of clumping it into the shoe. If you decide to hike with ankle sprains or foot problems, then you should go get this shoe. The BOA system and excellent sole will monitor your steps and comfort.
12. La Sportiva Women's Wildcat 2.0 GTX Trail Running Shoe
- Great for trails, protects from mud and water extremely well.
- Very grippy.
- Secure fit.
- Looks great, a lot of different color options to choose from.
- Very comfortable for long runs.
- Incredibly durable, will last you hundreds of miles.
- It weighs a bit more than most trail shoes.
- It’s not ideal for super hot weather.
This is the best lightweight trail running shoe for women. It is extremely well made and very durable. It can keep you comfortable on the trail for hours. The secret is great ventilation and flexibility but also great support. It is anatomically built for women.
The upper is constructed with a combination of synthetic leather and mesh. This will give you great protection from thickets and a high level of breathability. It is water resistant and very resistant to dirt. If you’re looking for a trail shoe that you can truly wear everyday, this is it.
13. Brooks Women's Ghost 10 GTX¿
- Looks good
- Quick lacing system
- Great ground feel and flexibility
- Secure fit
- Great traction in dirt and mud
- Has detachable sole as well as a sock liner.
- Relatively lightweight
- Great for long distance running and training
- Runs small
- Needs short break-in period
- Slightly heavy
- High price tag
We would like to point out that this one is the best running shoe for women that is waterproof and great on rough terrains as well as in light rains. It has a mid-height heel, which provides more comfort for most women. The cushioning and arch support are generous, while the heel is slightly lower.
If you love running in the forest, hills, and woods in the pouring rain, this running shoe by Brooks will be a good choice for you. It features a water-resistant mesh upper and PU leather at the heel which offer a decent level of protection from the elements. You also get an extra set of laces to replace worn ones in the middle of a run.
The shoe offers a smooth and stable ride, and the sole features an aggressive outsole that offers great grip on different surfaces. The outsole is also impressive in terms of durability: it will last for many miles to come.
14. adidas Men's Terrex Agravic GTX
- Strong and sturdy shoes.
- High quality material.
- Light weight.
- Good grip on various surfaces.
- Comfortable, durable shoes.
- Perfect pair of shoes for running and hiking.
This is a good pair of running shoe for men. It comes with a price but once you start using it you realize it’s really worth it. The shoe is comfortable and it can be worn with any kind of outfit.
You can use it for working out, jogging, hiking and more. The anti slip sole of this shoe is made of high quality material.
Plus, the shoe is lightweight and machine washable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is it OK to use trail running shoes on road?
Yes. Yes. Yes. You can run on the road in your trail shoes.
Of course, the shoes will wear out more quickly and you will get blisters more easily, but it is possible to use trail shoes on roads or on other soft surfaces.
You may also find it easier to run outdoors in your trail shoes than in your road shoes.
What is the best all terrain running shoe?
If you're a trail runner and you don't want to keep buying trail running shoes + road shoes, get a shoe with a flexible sole and look for good reviews. The Saucony Peregrine comes with a very thin, flexible Vibram sole that seems to please most users.
If you're more into road running, though, the Asics GT 1000 is a great choice. The GT 1000 has a more structured sole that offers a lot of stability and a lot of support while still offering the flexibility that will keep you from getting injured.
What are the best waterproof running shoes?
When you're going to buy waterproof running shoes, you need to take into consideration a person's weight, running style and where they run. If they're heavy, they need a shoe that makes the most of their weight and absorbs shock. If they run mostly on the road or concrete, they need a shoe that will provide traction and comfort. If they run on rugged trails, they need a shoe that won't slip, either on the trails or on the road, when they're headed home.
Are waterproof running shoes worth it?
Running shoes designed to repel water are designed to resist the elements when running near water or participating in a wet weather activity. Although regular performance and racing shoes may be sufficient, they may fail to keep moisture out. Shoes made specifically to repel water are designed to keep the moisture out.
The benefits of wearing water resistant shoes are, avoiding wet, cold feet, preventing shoe damage, and retaining the "fresh look" of your running shoes. However, these sneakers are generally more expensive than traditional shoes.
When it comes to the very best waterproof running shoes, the big question is…
What do these shoes provide to help them stand out from the crowd of other running shoes?
Waterproof running shoes are a new product that is gaining popularity with the runner set.
They come in many shapes, sizes, materials, and running styles, but they all have one thing in common.
They are all waterproof running shoes.
|The North Face Ultra 109 GTX||Best Overall|
|Saucony Women's Ride 8 Running Shoe||Budget Pick|
|Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo Shield Womens||Upgrade Pick|