Being a member of a gym means embracing a lot of workouts which burn up a lot of energy. You need to refuel your body and get back to it. That is where protein powders come in.
Protein powders are staple in any well-built home gym. They can be used in almost any smoothie or shake and are a great way to recover after a tough workout.
We have done the hard work for you and put together a list of the best tasting protein powders on the market right now. Check it out to make sure that you are getting a great tasting supplement that is pure and healthy.
It is hard to shake off the old stigma that protein powders are made up of body parts and are full of only muscle.
In fact, protein powder is a great source of protein for building muscle and having enough protein in your diet is very important.
|Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder||Best Overall|
|Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder||Budget Pick|
|Muscle Feast 100% Whey Protein Blend||Upgrade Pick|
1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Can mix with water, milk, or skim milk
- Mixes instantly
- Suited to all ages and experience levels
- Delicious flavor
- Some flavors are more expensive than others
- The "Chocolate" flavor tastes like chocolate frosting instead of chocolate milk
This is another quality whey protein. It is produced by Optimum Nutrition, which is currently one of the biggest brands in the field. This 5 pound tub of whey comes in 16 different flavors. The best flavor is Double Rich Chocolate, but all of them are delicious.
Mixing instructions are very clear, and the protein mixes instantly with milk. You can also mix it with water or skim milk.
This protein powder is a good choice for a home fitness environment that does not have a full kitchen. It can be mixed with a single serving blender bottle, so it is great for on the go.
2. MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder
- Delicious taste
- 50g of protein per serving; 20g of BCAAs
- Fortified with vitamins and minerals
- 60 servings per container
- Very affordable
- Some people complained about its artifical flavor and texture
- Some complained of constipation with this brand
- Amino acids were not properly balanced
- The protein content is rather low
- Protein quality is subpar
Four different weight training sessions for men (Barbell Workout 1 to Barbell Workout 4) and four different weight training sessions for women (Barbell Workout 1 to Barbell Workout 4). The sessions are designed to deliver maximum results in minimum time, and they also include equipment recommendations!
This home workout for men will help you develop bigger, stronger, and more well-defined arms!
3. NitroTech Power 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Extremely low carb
- Contains glutamine, which is an important amino acid for muscle mass
- Contains a creamy and pleasant taste at all flavors
- Is 100% whey isolate which means that is has the highest concentration of protein (up to 90 grams of protein per scoop) that is perfect for post workout.
- Sold for almost double the price of other 100 whey isolate proteins.
- The chocolate flavor tastes like artificial sweetener which is not what you want to be putting into your body. It is as if they used an overwhelming amount of stevia.
- It's not organic so don't be fooled into buying it thinking it is.
- It's very thin, so you might not like that.
This protein powder is a great product for those who want a good source of whey protein. This form of protein absorbs through the bloodstream fast, so it is perfect for a post workout shake. However, it might be hard for some to get used to the taste as the chocolate flavor tastes a little off.
The best thing about this protein powder is the fact that it is low in carbs which is exactly what you want in a protein powder.
4. Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder
- Contains 24g of protein per serving.
- Can be mixed into water or milk.
- Scores well by consumer reviews.
- Total price is low.
- Some have complained that it clumps.
- Uses artificial sweetener.
Body Fortress is yet another high-quality protein powder that would work well for your post-workout protein shake.
It has no artificial sweeteners and is gluten free, which can be really important if your CrossFit training or other training requires it.
Body Fortress Promax Protein Powder features no soy, no fat, no sugar…it’s very low in calories and it’s affordable.
5. BSN SYNTHA-6 Whey Protein Powder
- Perfect protein for hard gainers
- 28 servings per one container
- Delicious taste and good mixing characteristics
- No harsh taste before, during or after workouts
- Does not cause stomach problems
- Low on calories with a lot of nutrition
- Number of servings per one container
BSN SYNTHA-6 is a protein shake designed for bodybuilders. It helps your muscles grow and provides them with proteins and amino acids during the period before and after workouts. It has the right carbohydrates and fats that you need after a hard workout and prevent your muscles from getting damaged by the catabolic process.
It is also rich in vitamins and minerals that your body can get from food and that are used to provide energy to your muscles. One of its ingredients is L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine, which before being absorbed by your body is transformed into glutamine and alanine, which are used to produce nitrogen and help you build muscle.
This protein powder has a variety of flavors. Its chocolate milkshake flavor is one of the best-tasting products you can find these days. It is a delicious, milkshake taste that can be used as a meal. This product is loved by athletes and they keep using it. It is affordable and easy to digest.
6. Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder
- Superb value for the price.
- Tastes delicious.
- Easy to mix.
- More than two heaping tablespoons is a little difficult to manage.
Summary: Muscle Milk generally has a well-earned reputation for taste, quality, and value. Their chocolate flavor is very popular with diligent gym rats and fitness enthusiasts alike.
It is a protein powder that tastes like something you might buy at a candy store, not something you would expect to contain protein. The mixability and texture are both very nice in this product, as well.
7. Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder
- Gives you the option to make your protein shakes cold or warm.
- High-quality ingredients.
- Tastes good.
- Mixes well with almost any thing.
- The newer formula is delicious!
- A bit pricey compared to other protein powders.
- Slight chalkiness for first few weeks of use.
- Some unflavored does not dissolve in water, more a matter of individual taste.
This protein powder is one of the best whey protein powders for anyone looking for an easy, affordable, tasty, and clean way to meet their protein needs. Great for post training, fasting, weight loss or post-surgical recovery.
It mixes well in any liquid, from water, soy, to chocolate milk and shakes, and even fruit juice. The glutamine peptides help with muscle and joint recovery and the whey isolate is easy to digest. It has 100% natural flavors and no artificial sweeteners or harsh chemicals. Easy to mix, tastes delicious and the price is great. This is one product you can feel good about buying.
8. Muscle Feast 100% Whey Protein Blend
- Whey Protein Blend
- Has zero added sugar
- Not low in carbs
- Has a few artificial sweeteners
Has 5.5dg of protein per one scoop
This muscle feast whey protein contains a unique blend of the following:
Whey Protein Isolate: The most pure form of whey protein isolate (WPI) available as this is usually made at a lower heat to avoid the denaturation of this high quality protein source. Whey concentrates are cheaper but may contain some fat and other substances.
9. Pro Jym Protein Powder
- Every flavor is rich and delicious
- Can use 2 different scoops at once
- New formula has a great taste
- 10g of protein per scoop
- Smooth and creamy texture that is easy on the stomach
- Made in the USA
- Increases cholesterol levels by 10%
- Increases bloating from 100% to 110%
- Does not mix easily if you try other recipes
- Not a great protein for post workout due to the added fat
- Can settle at the bottom of your shaker
One of the best tasting protein powders that we recommend is the Pro Jym Protein Powder by JYM Supplement Science. It is an excellent protein powder with a ton of flavors. It can be used in shakes, smoothies and other recipes and it’s great to flavor protein pancakes and other goodies. With so many flavors, you are sure to find some that you love.
It is a premier protein with an excellent mix of quality ingredients. The great taste lets you enjoy it even when you are not doing a Crossfit workout.
10. Cellucor COR-Performance Protein Powder Molten Chocolate
- Great tasting chocolate flavor without being overly sweet and tasting fake.
- With Whey Protein Isolate (WPI), Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) and Glutamic Acid Sweetener Blend, it helps boost your performance.
- It’s gluten free and low fat.
- 25g of high quality protein per serving.
- It’s a more expensive choice.
- Chocolate flavor is best for the Chocolate lovers.
With Cellucor COR-Performance Protein Powder, you get 25g of protein and it’s loaded with glutamic acid and sweetened with stevia and sucralose. It has 9g of BCAAs and 5.5g of Glutamine.
The chocolate flavor is rich and creamy. It doesn’t have a chalky texture.
11. Isopure Low Carb
- Great taste
- Mixes easily into smoothies and protein drinks
- Provides a good amount of nutrition needed by women for a healthy, nutritious diet,
- The tub recommends mixing 1 scoop with 6 oz of water but 1 scoop with 4-5 oz of fluid is the best.
- Expensive compared to other protein powders.
- Isopure Protein Powder is one of the best protein powders for those who are on a low carb, low sugar diet but still need a high quality protein drink immediately after a workout.
This IsoPure protein powder has only 2 carbs per serving and 1.5 grams of fat. It also has BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids), glutamine, and Glutamine peptides for supporting muscle growth and repair.
It can be mixed easily and quickly with just a blender bottle in the morning, a water bottle on the go, or used in smoothies, protein drinks, in cooking or baked goods.
12. Kaged Muscle
- Mixes easily
- Tastes good
- No bloat
- No chalky taste
- Can be used to make smoothies or can be used to add to oatmeal.
- It is available in different flavors, all of which are yummy.
- Rich in protein and just 3.1 carrier ingredients
- Add to recipes without changing the taste
- It is free from artificial sweeteners or colors
- Suitable for lactose intolerant people
- It is not cheap
- It does not mix in water well
- It contains Sucralose
- It is not good to be used by people with allergies to cows’ milk
If you are looking for a tastier workout drink, then this protein powder will be worth trying. It’s free of banned substances and Suclorose, yet rich in protein making it one of the best tasting protein powders on the market today.
The only difficulty you’ll face may be the inability to dissolve it in water to prepare it to drinking. As such, you should consider whether it can be dissolved in water at all.
13. Rivalus Rivalwhey
- One of the best protein powders for beginners and those who have tried a lot, but still what to try something new.
- Great price for what you are getting.
- Rich and creamy flavor.
- No artificial additives, coloring, or preservatives.
- Available in several different flavours.
- Not as high in protein as some of the other options out there.
- Chocolate flavor is not very strong.
- The texture (depending on the type of protein used) might be too think for some people.
- Some people seemed to experience bloating in the stomach, but it may or may not be related to the supplement.
14. Animal Whey Isolate Whey Protein Powder
- Available in 10 flavors.
- Contains Whey Isolate.
- No GMO.
- Gluten and Soy-Free.
- Low in sugar and fat.
- Mixes well.
- Good value for the money.
- Contains Sulfites (more information here).
- Contains ingredients derived from milk.
This is one of the best tasting protein powders available for its cost. It is creamy, mixes well, and is generally one of the best tasting protein powder that you can take without paying a premium.
This protein contains 85% Whey Protein Isolate and 15% Whey Protein Concentrate. On the label, it specifically mentions that the protein contains No Soy.
Whey protein concentrate contains more lactose (sugar) and has lower levels of bio availability of amino acids compared to whey protein isolate. Whey protein isolate contains more levels of branched chain amino acids. It is also less expensive because in order for it to be called concentrate, less than 85% of the whey protein has to be protein. The more whey protein concentrate to the remaining ingredients, the lower the cost.
15. PEScience Select Low Carb Protein Powder
- Frothy and delicious
- No added sugar
- Vanilla flavor tastes good
- Mixes easily
- Very budget friendly
- A little milk adds lots of flavor
- Good texture for a low carb
- Needs a good blender
- Low carb diets need to be planned
- Packaging is not BPA free
- Expensive shipping
- Recommended shake is 50g powder to 20 ounces of milk
This is a really nice whey protein powder for those of you who have to stay on a true low carb diet. This is a high-quality protein product without carbs so you can use this as your source of protein and get the protein without the extra carbs added in by other protein powders.
We liked this brand over all of the others because you get less protein per scoop, but you can add a little milk to it for extra protein and flavor.
16. Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder
- Very smooth and great consistency
- Taste is great, especially the chocolate
- No clumping
- Nice packaging
- Fast digesting
- Very high protein content
- Not too sweet
- Low amount of BCAAs
- Not much energy
- Some protein mixes better than others
Pure Protein is one of the cheapest brands out there. You will get a deal if you buy this brand of protein powder. I tried this protein powder for about a week. It was good for my taste. This protein powder mixes great even with water. It did however leave a little bit of a chalky taste in my drink, but that's not a really deal breaker.
I found the chocolate flavored powder to be quite incredible. This protein powder did have a tad bit of a chalky texture, which I do not like. I tried this protein powder first thing in the morning after an intense workout and I didn't feel tired. I have a protein drink every morning, and I found this protein powder to be decent. Overall, I think this protein powder is OK.
17. P2N Peak Performance Nutrition P2N Whey Protein
- Quality product, recommended by many
- Good price, affordable for everyone
- Bland flavor, can be mixed in with other foods
- 25 g protein per serving
- Instantized whey protein
- Natural protein, GMO-free
This is one of the best protein powders around. It is considered by many as their top protein powder of choice. It is very affordable and has a good overall quality.
It has a nice clean taste that can be mixed in many foods, from oatmeal to pancakes. The product contains no synthetic ingredients or sugar. It contains a blend of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate and whey peptides. It also contains lactase for easy digestion.
P2N is one of the rare protein powders that uses both Instantized Whey Protein and 100% Natural Whey Protein. P2N is available in vanilla or chocolate flavor.
18. Myprotein® Impact Whey Protein Powder
- Well-formulated and easily digestible.
- Light flavor and easy to mix.
- Only one flavor option
- High price point
As you can see, the total number of positive reviews for Myprotein is 104 and the total negative reviews are only 5, showing an overwhelmingly positive user experience.
First off, we should mention that Myproteins isn’t your typical protein powder. This isn’t like the stuff you get from the grocery store, which is why we are featuring it in our protein powder review 2020 list.
Myprotein is a British brand that uses only whey protein concentrate, and it’s cold process extraction process ensures that the protein retains its structure.
19. Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder
- Easy to digest and assimilate
- Very low in carbs
- Rich in nutrients
- Mixes well with water or milk
- Little to no taste or flavor
- A bit expensive
- This is not a whey protein
This plant-based protein powder is popular among people who are lactose intolerant (a common side effect of weight lifting) or those who are vegan. It’s a mix of pea, cranberry, and hemp proteins, so you have a lot of options. Plus, they all have a nutrient component.
It also offers a ton of other health benefits; it’s low in fat, low-carb, and rich in nutrients like iron and calcium. It’s also made with organic ingredients, so you’re getting the purest version of this powder.
And as if that weren’t enough, it has a clean, high-protein taste that is easy to drink because it is so smooth. The powder mixes pretty easily with liquid, so it’s not a mile to drink it.
20. Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Advanced Protein| Vanilla Ice Cream
- Has a natural taste
- Aids in muscle growth and repair
- Has a sweet, creamy vanilla flavor that is very enjoyable
- Includes BCAAs, glutamine, and other beneficial ingredients
- Not GMO
- Has 18g of protein for each serving
- Aspartame-free flavor
- Excellent quality, taste, and price
- Some people might not like the taste because it is so sweet.
Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Advanced Protein is a great tasting vanilla protein powder that is sure to help you meet your needs. It is gluten-free, and is a superior protein powder that is satisfying, tasty, and delicious.
It mixes together well in water or milk, and has a sweet taste that you are sure to love if you like vanilla flavored shakes.
21. Six Star Whey Isolate Plus Protein Powder
- Very easy to mix, almost no clumps
- Tastes amazing
- Good value for the money
- No chalky aftertaste
- Natural ingredients
- Various flavors
- Virtually no carb, fat or sugar
- A little pricey but worth it.
- Tastes so good you may over eat.
(Packaging May Vary)
This protein powder is one of the best whey protein powders as rated by consumers. It is loaded with 24 grams of whey protein per scoop and 2 grams of natural fat to support lean muscle. It also includes 6 grams of the amino acid l-glutamine. It is very easy to mix and has a chocolate taste that is astonishingly good.
This is one of the best tasting protein powders for women as well as men. It does not have any chalky after taste. You will be tempted to drink it all day, but don’t. It tastes so good, you need to use restraint, especially if you are watching your weight.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best tasting protein shakes?
The best tasting protein powder for you will depend on the flavor and taste that you are looking for. There are literally hundreds of protein powders on the market, but most of these products can be broken down into a few main categories.
Extruded protein powders are the most common type of protein powder. They are made from heating a mixture of protein sources into a semi-solid or solid state and then extruding the mixture through a press, which compacts it into a cake-like form.
Is there any protein powder that tastes good?
Most protein powders are disgusting.
Let’s start by talking about the taste versus effectiveness of protein powders.
Generally, there is little difference in the results and nutritional value of a protein powder, whether it tastes bad or good. Price and value are not very closely related to the taste, either. Foodies may insist that a whey protein powder with natural ingredients, like bannana flavor, tastes 100 percent better, but if you are a healthy athlete that just wants to get results, you need to buy the cheap, effective, protein powder and move on with your day.
What is the best tasting chocolate protein powder?
In 2019 I was also surprised at how good some of the chocolate whey protein powders tasted. I have had a lot of people ask me about whey to get started on. Honestly, there are only a handful that I recommend but some of the best tasting protein powders are chocolate flavored. So if you don't mind using flavored protein powders, use the listings below to help you find the best tasting chocolate protein powder for you.
I've heard some horror stories about the taste – or lack there of – of some whey protein powders. It's funny because I don't really think anyone promised us chocolate smoothly, ice cream, or chocolate milk when we were working out each week.
If you're going to add protein to your smoothies or protein shakes then you might as well find a powder that you can stomach quickly. Below is a list of the best tasting chocolate protein powders in 2019.
What is the best protein powder 2022?
You have poured over the very best protein powders 2022 should buy, but which ones are the best of the best? Discover the 5 best taste-winning protein powders of 2022, as well as the 5 best tasting whey protein powders!
It's a common bodybuilding belief that it's far more important to feel good than to look good. Actually, there is some truth to this. When you feel good, it is much easier to eat well and exercise more often. When you feel bad, it's harder to do the things that you know you should be doing. Unfortunately, physical appearance tends to make people feel better too.
So what's the best protein powder 2022 should buy?
Protein powders are becoming more popular with individuals that are looking to increase their protein consumption for health and/or bodybuilding purposes. The crazy thing about protein powder is the overwhelming amount of different options available on the market.
Whether you are an experienced lifter, or a beginner looking to take the first step towards building muscle, protein powder can be a great tool. But choosing the best one is not as easy as you think. There are tons of different protein powders out there, each one promising to deliver different benefits.
Plus, there is a lot of confusion surrounding the use of protein powders and their use. This ultimately leads to even more questions as to which protein powder is the best for your needs.
|Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder||Best Overall|
|Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder||Budget Pick|
|Muscle Feast 100% Whey Protein Blend||Upgrade Pick|