CrossFit is a style of training that utilizes functional movements that work your body as a complete unit. These complex movements require a great deal of coordination and an explosive power in order to perform it correctly.
What better way to build explosive power than through using some of the best slam balls on the market, which can provide a high-intensity workout that not only builds power, but also provides a good amount of cardio training as well.
Pair one of these balls of with some plyometric jumps, and you now have your ideal training routine for developing explosive power. We did all of the searching so you don't have to, and put together a list of the 15 best slam balls on the market right now.
|Weighted Slam Ball by Day 1 Fitness||Best Overall|
|TRX Training Slam Ball||Budget Pick|
|Valor Fitness Slam Balls||Upgrade Pick|
1. Weighted Slam Ball by Day 1 Fitness
- The perfect size and weight. Look no further for a weighted ball. THIS IS THE ONE!
- It is easy to hold, perfect for all types of floor slams.
- When you slam it on the ground, it will not bounce. The weighted ball is perfect for CrossFit exercises.
- It is made of a tough, thick rubber case that will last a long time.
- There are 9 weight options in 3 different colors.
- The unbreakable weighted slam ball is the perfect size for your CrossFit program.
- You will love the 100% Quality Guarantee and 1 year Hassle Free Warranty.
- Also check:
- To help you on your way to get a gym bag that is stylish, functional and affordable.
- The features and accessories you are looking for:
MMA & Boxing – 100% SAFE.
2. TRX Training Slam Ball
- Solid rubber construction ensures increased durability than other balls.
- Lightweight, 10 lbs.
- Securely hangs from TRX Suspension Trainer, but can be used without for different types of exercises.
- Easy to grip and grip for different workouts.
- Equipped with a heavy duty handle for easy transport/storage.
- Not a lot thinner than other 10 lbs. slam balls.
- The easy- grip tread is made for floors, so works best on a flat surface.
Slam balls are used in workouts like Box Jumps. This ball by TRX is a 10 lb. rubber ball that although has a little thicker design than other balls, does not look bulky.
This ball has a thick durable rubber shell that has a textured surface and finger grip grooves, both of which are designed specially for different kinds of slam ball exercises. They ship a 2-pack in a convenient storage bag.
Bottom Line: For a durable and quality 10 lb. slam ball, look no further than the TRX Training Slam ball. It’s easier to grip than other balls out there, and the light weight makes it easy to store but still effective for movements.
3. Champion Sports Rhino Slam Medicine Balls
- A good middle of the road choice
- Durable construction
- Great texture
- Variety of colors available, bright and fun
- Complaints about the stitching
- May sag a little over time
Let’s start with the basics. The 8 pound Rhino Slam from Champion Sports are astonishingly light in terms of weight and constructed of a durable latex. This is a perfect ball to begin with and since it’s cheap, you can try out the slam ball workout without having to worry about breaking the budget.
You can choose from several solid colors, each with a matte finish that gives it an appealing, tactile feel. It has a whipped stitch of high impact polypropylene for added durability and makes a pretty good filler for when you need a little extra weight in your hands. There are no fancy frills or designs, just a basic ball with a classic look.
The Neon Rhino ball is bright red with black stripes and is big enough to use during the warm up and cooldown, or for use during heavy slams. The signature black Rhino Slam is classic looking, but the Neon Stripe ball is a nice change of pace and will brighten up any workout.
4. Champion Barbell Reactor Smash Ball
- Made of rubber, it has a great weight to it—it’s not too hefty or too light.
- It’s extremely durable and will not succumb to the damage that can be done to a long metal slam ball.
- The rubber is very nice and doesn’t scratch when you drop it, but it also doesn’t leave marks on the floor like an inflatable ball would.
It’s not friendly on the wallet. The most expensive option on this list, but you get high-quality rubber in return.
Champion Barbell Reactor Smash Ball is one of the best slam balls for pricing. The 32 lb ball is made of a dense rubber and is nearly indestructible.
As we all know, a rubber ball will last way longer than a steel ball, no matter how careful you are. So this one is sure to stay around in your workout room forever. It almost sounds like a sales pitch, but this thing is as good as it gets.
5. REP FITNESS V2 Slam Balls
- Easy to grip
- Smooth bounce pattern
- Helps develop hand, wrist, and forearm strength
- Reinforced seams
This powerful and truly superior slam ball is made of premium-grade PVC and is reinforced with double-stitched, reinforced seams to ensure a long lifespan.
The ball is manufactured in the U.S.A. The ball has approx. 3" diameter with a weight of approx. 80 lbs. The ball is round and rolls with a smooth bounce pattern. The ball has a bounce pattern that is even. The ball doesn’t wobble or roll funny. There is no strange smell and no toxic odor.
The ball can be used by professionals and workout enthusiasts. The ball is durable and works great for heavy balls. It can be used for a wide range of CrossFit workouts. The ball works well for:
6. POWER GUIDANCE Slam Ball
7. TITAN Fitness 10-60 lb Slam Spike Ball Rubber Exercise Weight Workout
- Very sturdy construction.
- Rubber made ball is easy to grip and secure.
- 10-60 lbs weighted ball designed for different rep and weighted training.
- Nylon carry and a strap included.
- Great for indoor and outdoor use.
Some people use this ball for dumbbells for dukes and snatches. Ball is not rounded and edges can hurt your hands.
This is one of the best workout balls on the market. It comes with a lifetime guarantee against crack, solid steel weld structure. It is great for beginner to professional athletes.
This ball is considered as the best weight ball for home gyms. It is a solid steal if you are looking to buy one.
8. Shogun Sports Slam Ball
- Colors match the rest of the equipment that we use at the gym and fits the theme of our home gym.
- The textured surface is easy to grip.
- For the price, the size is perfect. It is big enough to do all the exercises that we wanted it to do.
- Handle is not as durable as we would like. We were a little rough with it in the beginning practicing our speed jumps and therefore the rubber handle has seen some wear and tear.
- The rubber protruding from the bottom of the ball does not have enough space to allow you to slam it on the ground. It is very uncomfortable to slam it down on the ground. You have to slam it with the sides.
9. RAGE Fitness Slam Ball
- Has a rubber grip
- Can use in the gym or at home
- Very good for explosive full-body workout
- Great for developing high strength
- Not very heavy
- A bit noisy
This slam ball is made of solid rubber, similar to the ones you would find at the gym. It measures 10 inches in diameter and has a dual-grip system that's perfect for CrossFit or other high-intensity workouts.
It's a great all-around training ball that can withstand lots of abuse in CrossFit or gym workouts. This model can also be used outside on softer ground, such as grass or dirt, if needed.
Bottom line: For the price, you're not going to beat this slam ball from Rage Fitness. The dual-grip system on the ball is unique to this model and is the perfect addition for your cross training equipment.
10. Crown Sporting Goods Slam Ball
- This is their best ball yet.
- Designed for strength and conditioning training exercises.
- Comes with lifetime guarantee. Very high quality.
- Heavy duty and extremely expensive feeling.
- Stability, balance and control.
- Prevents back injuries.
- Affordable price.
- These are great, but they are too heavy to use with a towel wrapped.
- If you are searching for an extremely lightweight ball for practicing your balance, this isn’t it.
Strength Training, Plyometric, Muay Thai Kickboxing, MMA, Yoga 15, 8lb.
There are a lot of expensive slam balls on the market. These are the best.
11. Valor Fitness Slam Balls
- Great for all kinds of explosive power exercises
- Perfect for sports like tennis, golf, football, basketball, volleyball and other sports
- Builds muscle and develops explosive power
- Top quality rubber and will not split when slammed
- Comes with a 90-day warranty
- Great colors!
- Hard to control when slam-dunking against the wall
- They bounce around a lot on a hard surface floor
The Valor Fitness Slam Balls are one of the best Slam Ball options for CrossFit wod and gym workouts.
These slam balls are 30cm in diameter and are great for wall and slam ball exercises. You can use them for really explosive sports like tennis, golf, football, basketball, volleyball, martial arts, MMA and gymnastics.
They are ideal for hand-eye coordination training drills and build muscle. They come in six weights (22lbs, 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs and 45lbs) and the are very easy to grip.
12. Fitness Solutions Slam Balls Dead Weight Slam Ball D Ball Strength Conditioning Cross Training WOD Plyometric Core Training
- Well-made, good quality and very durable.
- The bright colors (orange, green, blue and pink) are easy to spot on the floor.
- They fit pretty well in several kinds of ball racks.
- The customer service is very good.
- This ball has a strong rubber smell.
- These weights are too heavy to perform some hand exercises.
Slam Ball Boot Camp, Strength Training, Hand Exercises, Home Gym for Women, Men and Kids (3pcs).
The Fitness Solutions Slam Balls are a set of 3 dumbbells that makes a great addition for a home gym, getting a full workout, or for many other workouts. They are made of high quality rubber that is designed with a finish each that enhances the grip surface which enables you to use the balls for many of your workouts without getting your hands fatigued. The sizes of these balls are very precisely calculated for maximum results from your workouts.
13. Power Systems Premium Slam Ball
- Provides a safe and effective workout
- Perfect for both beginners and advanced users
- Manufactured from high-quality polyurethane
- Extra thick to protect floors and fit comfortably in your hand
- Develops power, speed, agility, and stability
- Available in a wide range of weights to fit any workout program
Slam balls are some of the most popular pieces of equipment in CrossFit. They are relatively straightforward in their design: a heavy sphere that you can pick up and throw down. While this piece of equipment might seem like it should be very easy to use, it can be surprisingly challenging to pick them up from the floor.
If you need to quickly pack up your bag or leave in a hurry, these 5.5 inch balls are hard to catch with any kind of speed. They can also weigh over 18 pounds, well in excess of what most of us are looking to use to toss around.
These balls come from a company who understands CrossFit. The balls look exactly like the ones you would find at any CrossFit affiliate. They are made of a high-quality polyurethane, just like those found at boxes everywhere.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best slam balls?
Our top choices for the best slam balls for CrossFit and commercial gym use include the Free Motion slam ball, the black slam ball and the black and blue slam ball. There are pros and cons to each – the black and blue ball is the most durable but also the heaviest. The black ball is just as durable but a bit lighter, and the Free Motion ball is a bit too soft for our liking- though it should be noted that it is bounce back makes it fun to use.
If you want the best of the best, without question, the black and blue ball is the way to go. We have used it often in group sessions, both for CrossFit and other applications, and it is holding up perfectly. There is a reason so many CrossFit gyms choose this ball- it is simply the best.
Are slam balls a good workout?
Slam balls are a fantastic addition to any basic CrossFit workout because they add intensity and intensity is what CrossFit is all about. The resistance a slam ball creates when you draw your arms in close to your body and slam it down on the ground is impressive.
Slam balls require a lot of upper body strength, stability, and control. They are a great way for those who are already familiar with CrossFit and want to up their game a little bit beyond normal kettlebell workouts.
Whats a good weight for a slam ball?
A slam ball is a ball that is filled with sand or gravel to give it weight. Ideally you want to hold it in your hand with your hand over the top on the ball. This gives you the best leverage to really slam the ball down. If you hold the ball below your hand you lose control and it is much harder to 'slam' it home.
A good weight for a slam ball is 10-15lbs for women and 20-25 lbs for men. Beyond that and you are attempting to lift the ball with your arm muscles rather than your explosive hip muscles. Slam balls come in a wide variety of sizes and weights. Some are heavier and some are lighter but most are similar to the above weights.
What muscles do slam balls work?
If you have never used a slam ball before, it can take some getting used to and it can be hard on the wrists and hands so it can be a little painful. Using weight, you can gradually increase your ability to handle the ball and you can eventually get to a point where you can slam it with some major force.
The good news is that this isn’t necessarily the goal of using the slam ball. Most people simply aim to control the ball without letting it drop to the floor. This is a good way to stay in shape and you don’t need to be a pro-level bodybuilder to make real use of it. Slam balls engage all of the upper body muscles as well as the core. I'm sure you will enjoy the work out when you buy one slam ball and try it out for the first time.
A slam ball, also called a slammer ball, is a weighted ball, typically made of rubber, which is used primarily by athletes in sports like CrossFit, WODs and weightlifting.
What is the Exercise Prowess that a Slam Ball Provides?
It improves reaction time and coordination, allowing you to engage all the right muscles and tendons.
Working on a whole-body workout, it is one of the best ways to get the complete exercise.
The air-filled balls are designed to give that extra resistance when you would be working out.
|Weighted Slam Ball by Day 1 Fitness||Best Overall|
|TRX Training Slam Ball||Budget Pick|
|Valor Fitness Slam Balls||Upgrade Pick|