What shoes should you buy when you are overweight?
Just because you are overweight does not mean you can wear anything you want. Most likely, you have a wider foot and bigger ankles. Shoes designed for people with smaller feet will not fit you properly.
We found that my feet got a hell of a lot of issues from poorly designed shoes. It was hard for me to find something that I was happy with and that didn’t bother my feet. Most shoes were too narrow and cut off my circulation.
You do not want to show up to the gym or run out to the neighborhood track with shoes that make you have a less than stellar workout. It is really important that you find a pair of running shoes that work for you.
It can be difficult finding shoes if your feet are bigger, but we have you covered. I have put together a list of the best running shoes for heavy runners in 2022.
|Brooks Mens Glycerin 17 Cushioned Road Running Shoe||Best Overall|
|ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe||Budget Pick|
|HOKA ONE ONE Mens Clifton 6 Running Shoe||Upgrade Pick|
1. Brooks Mens Glycerin 17 Cushioned Road Running Shoe
- Great cushioning and great support.
- Performs well on heavy runs.
- Made by Brooks, who is a leader in running shoe technology.
- Men’s style.
- Can be used by neutral runners.
- May be less ideal for longer distances.
- A bit high priced.
- Less ideal for people who like to run on hard surfaces.
- Doesn’t come in women’s sizes.
The Brooks Glycerin is a cross-training shoe that is ideal for men who run on the heavy side and have a high arch.
The Glycerin shoes were designed with a high level of cushioning for heavy runners. The shoes are designed with a unique DNA cushioning technology which provides great support and has a soft bounce.
The Glycerin foot bed is made with Brooks’ ASR technology which in turn helps control pronation. ASR technology is featured on many of the most innovative running shoe models.
2. ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe
- Has a wide toe box.
- Offers good arch support.
- Breathable mesh fabric.
- Can offer a custom fit with the Lace Pocket system.
- Makes transitioning easy.
- Great upper-midsole stability.
- Spring-loaded heel.
- Very durable construction.
- Laces fit well.
- Great for long runs.
- Sizing is off.
- Sizing runs big.
- Little support.
- Little arch support.
- Price is a bit steep.
Some people prefer leather over synthetic, but they can be a little stinky. The Gel-Venture 6’s synthetic overlays mean they will probably be more comfortable for a lot of bigger guys.
There are a lot of shoe options, but I’m not sure if they will expand the shoe sizes and widen the toe box in the future. Only time will tell, but these can be good for a lot of big guys and provide good traction for trails and tough conditions like mud or rain, too, so they can meet the needs of a lot of big guys.
If you prefer a lot of support, I’d try a different shoe, but if you like a low profile shoe with a soft ride, you really can’t go wrong with these.
3. Saucony Men's Kinvara 9 Running Shoe
- Better grip in varied trail conditions than other low-burky shoes.
- 10mm drop, so they work well on smooth surfaces as well.
- Quick lacing system makes for easy on and off access.
- Plenty of support and a comfortable fit.
- Good traction and an efficient ride.
- Durable enough for long distance use and varied terrain.
- Well-cushioned for heavy runners.
- Not good for use on slippery surfaces.
- Material is thin and not very protective.
- Not supportive enough for running on heavy terrains.
- A little snug on the forefoot.
- Some reports of Achilles tendon pain.
This update of the Kinvara is a great casual or light trail running shoe that works well for heavy runners.
It gives you the same low-profile cushioning as the original with a little extra support.
The upper is breathable mesh with a sock-like construction. The sole is a full rubber design that provides plenty of traction on all surfaces.
4. HOKA ONE ONE Mens Clifton 6 Running Shoe
- Thermoformed EVA midsole provides lightweight cushioning and support
- Full-length EVERUN topsole provides just the right amount of bounce and responsiveness
- Molded PUMA Formstrip at the lateral and medial sides for support and structure
- CMEVA midsole
- Padded collar and tongue for added comfort
- PUMA No. 1 Logo at tongue, quarter, and heel
- Padding in the midsole and collar is not enough.
- Only it is good looking, this pair of HOKA ONE ONE HOKA ONE ONE Mens Clifton 6 Running Shoe is also provides the comfort for you.
Black,10 M US.
In straight to the point, this pair of running shoes is a beast! Built for speed and agility, this men’s running shoe is designed for speed and agility. Strategic overlays and an ultra light midsole combine with a lightweight upper to create the most nimble and comfortable ride ever.
While it is constructed with full-length EVERUN topsole cushioning, the shoe also includes Zero-Drop construction, Waffle out-sole pattern, and a HOKA ONE ONE Speedboard.
5. Brooks Mens Beast '18
- Support for normal to high arches
- Form-fitted and very comfortable
- Durability rating is high enough that the shoes will last a long time
- Good for gait issues
- Not good for very low arches
- Might cost more than expected for this type of shoe
If you have a bigger feet size, especially for your weight, you will probably need large shoes for running. Here is the main features of running shoes for obese men with large feet. The Brooks Beast 18 is one of the acceptable choices for obese men and bring you a comfortable running experience.
These shoes are high enough to provide enough support for high arches. On the other hand, they are acceptable for normal to high arches. High arches force you to have to buy bigger shoes, but if you buy shoes that are too big for high arches, you will experience knee pain or other foot problems. Check more running shoes for men with diabetes or Thigh boots for men.
Speaking of the upper, it is made from a breathable mesh material so that your feet are able to breathe. The tongue is padded with foam so that it can provide comfort where is needed the most.
6. Saucony Men's Echelon 7 Running Shoe
- Ability to be used for running or walking
- Removable insole for customized fit and support
- Foot grip and support
- Readily accessible eyelets for lacing system
- Breathable mesh material
- Offers cushion and comfort during running.
- Can be worn both indoors and outdoors
- Summary Review: Designed for larger feet.
Saucony is a well-reputed brand for running shoes and the Echelon 7 fits like a glove. It has been designed for men needing support in their feet, arch, and back. The shoe looks stylish, is lightweight, and is breathable.
These shoes are designed for a neutral gait and accommodate various foot shapes and sizes. Its sole is made up of highly responsive materials, which provide great grip when you run. They are also made from lightweight materials that move with the foot to prevent injuries and offer a more natural stride.
The shoe’s upper is made from mesh material, which breathes easily. Its calf supportive is padded for your comfort.
7. New Balance Men's 1080v8 Fresh Foam Running Shoe
- Excellent cushioning
- Adjustable midfoot support
- Comfortable upper fit
- Sleek look
- Uses New Balance’s Fresh Foam midsole
- Innovative anti-microbial sock liner
- Limited color selection
New Balance shoes are designed to fit and feel like a custom shoe that was made just for you. Thanks to the shoe’s roomy construction, your feet will have plenty of space for moving and breathing.
The 1080V8 shoe is great for long-distance runners and is stylish enough to be worn on a casual day out running errands or hanging out with friends. The materials used on this shoe are the highest quality and will help you focus on your performance rather than the pain or discomfort that accompanies wearing uncomfortable shoes.
The 1080 V8 is built for quality and durability, even in the most extreme conditions. The smooth upper improves the fit, as does the padded collar at the ankle. The shoe is designed with a reinforced toe and heel for added durability.
8. On Women's Cloud Sneaker
- Very affordable
- Attractive design
- Many users report problems with quality; the shoe falls apart just a few months of use.
This versatile gym bag is great for CrossFit and other fitness activities. It is spacious, but not too big. It is perfect for holding all your items. In addition, it keeps your items separate.
The On Women’s Cloud Sneaker has a vented shoe compartment that allows air to circulate, keeping your shoes separate from your other gear. It has a carry handle as well as a shoulder strap for convenience. The shoe compartment fits women’s size 6 to men’s size 13.
The main compartment is spacious enough for all of your workout or training gear. It measures 18 by 14.5 by 8.5 inches. The front pocket is big enough for trainers, water bottles, towels, etc. It even has an internal elastic dock, ideal for holding the water bottle in place when you quickly pull it in and out.
9. Brooks Men's Adrenaline Gts 18
- Breathable mesh upper materials.
- Has an anatomical last and 4-pin shank.
- The heel cushion and forefoot Cush properties.
- The outsole is made by high-density polyurethane.
- The internal support rolls.
- Good overall stability.
- Great for mild support for medium high arches.
- The overall quality is great and I have seen no defects.
- They are not good for severe overpronation.
- The width is medium but narrow in the toe box area.
- The shoes overall lack padding, leaving it flat.
- The memory foam and Cush properties goes away quickly.
The Brooks Men’s Adrenaline Gts 18 is an athletic neutral everyday running shoe which has well-cushioned soles, supportive fit and ventilation mesh upper materials. This shoe is stylish and made of high quality materials which gives comfort to your feet.
The common use of this shoe is that it comes with a breathable mesh upper materials. This shoe has a women’s version named Gts 19.
10. Nike Men's Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Running Shoe
- Breathable upper allows air flow to cool feet.
- Great for stability and heel to toe transition.
- Outsole is comfortable and responsive.
- Contoured footbed gives great support.
- Breathable upper isn’t the best for winter running.
- Soles wear out quickly.
- The fit is tricky!
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 is a neutral trainer with firm and responsive cushioning in the forefoot. The outsole has deep flex grooves that make this shoe perfect for speed.
This is a lightweight shoe that is great for runners that are unstable or have low arches. The outsole is made of TPU layers that help this shoe last and transition from heel to toe with ease.
We recommend this shoe for runners who have medium to high arches and are looking for a lightweight trainer that has excellent heel to toe transition.
11. Saucony Women's Redeemer ISO 2 Running Shoe
- Cool graphics, vibrant colors, and standout style.
- Thick, plush upper for support and comfort
- Medium support and stability
- Wide toe box perfect for those with larger feet
- Some cushioning for a nice ride
This is a really stylish and comfortable shoe. It has a bright red and black upper, with white wraparound detailing and turquoise and red accents. Saucony markets the Redeemer as ideal for adventure racing because of its light weight and wide toe box, but it’s also a nice everyday run wherever you take it.
For people with large feet, the Saucony Redeemer has a wide toe box that’s great for those who have a problem finding shoes that fit. It has a mid-level of stability and a good amount of cushioning. For those who want something a bit more cushioned than average, this is a good choice.
Beginners will like the Saucony Redeemer’s comfortable fit, but experienced runners will find it lacks the kind of performance shoes they want.
12. ASICS Men's Gel-Kayano 25 Running Shoes
- Premium gel cushioning for even more comfort and support
- Sleek look from the Kayano 25.
- Premium midsole technology delivers a smooth transition from heel to toe.
- Dynamically contoured sockliner molds to the shape of your foot.
- Great for anyone who is looking for comfort without sacrificing support.
- Poor durability and quality control may disappoint some.
Asics says the Asics Men's Gel Kayano 25 is a top premium running shoe. We would say so because this shoe is so supportive and comfortable. It's designed to be stable and lightweight so the runner won't fatigue as easily. Even though we were just talking about the 25th anniversary version of the shoe, the construction is still great. You can wear them and know that they're going to be comfortable. No need to worry about any toe off problems with these shoes.
These are very stylish and good looking shoes. The liner has a very unique design and looks great. The design wasn't changed much, but as you know we are never expecting much when it comes to shoes. You just want your comfort and support. That's the bottom line.
What we noticed instantly were the outsoles. They have a comfortable thickness and a durable and flexible construction. The entire shoe is very soft and is great when you're walking or running. The gel technology gives you a soft platform with your sole. So the shoe is very comfortable. You get all the plush cushioning, which you're looking for in a running shoe.
13. Mizuno Men's Wave Sky Running Shoes
- Cushioning is adequate for most runners, but some runners find it lacking.
- Contoured motion-control design.
- Heel-to-toe transitioning is smooth and responsive.
- Deep channel grooves enhance airflow and help prevent mud buildup.
- Has a thick outsole, which is perfect for high-volume runners.
- Heel collar is rather high on this shoe so tailors may need some time breaking in.
- Durability is not very good.
- Not very good for trails.
The Mizuno Men’s Wave Sky Running Shoes are a combination of three different types of cushioning; the Wave insert in the heel, the zoned cushioning midsole, and the pliable forefoot. Each of these parts offers some kind of impact support on its own, which helps to absorb some of the impact that heavier runners experience during each footstep.
Further, the Wavy Tech construction creates a soft, flexible sole that moves with your foot, while simultaneously supporting it. This shoe does particularly well as a stability shoe for larger runners, although it also offers enough flexibility to be used as a lightweight support shoe.
This is a member of The Wave family of running shoes and, is available in three different colors-white/silver, white/royal/orange, and black/copper. These running shoes are best for heavy, over-pronators and have a low to medium arch. They are available in sizes from 8 to 15 and half sizes from 9 to 13, and they weigh approximately 11 ounces.
14. ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 26 Running Shoes
- Lots of colors to choose from
- Gel cushioning on forefoot and heel
- Comfy, cloud-like midsole
- Great fit
- Less breathable than the Lunas and Impulses
- Some toe drag if you have wide feet
- Does not fit wide feet at all
If you need stylish shoes for you are looking for good looking athletic shoes the ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano will catch your eye and your attention. They come in 13 different colors and are 1 inch in the heel and 10.25 inches in the shoe. The shoe has a traditional lace-up closure system so that you can get a perfect fit to your foot.
These comfortable women’s running shoes have a quarter inch heel, have a quarter inch bump midsole that is full length for impact protection and have an outsole lug pattern that lets you have traction on all surfaces. The midsole has embedded foot sensors so that ASICS can better personalize the walking experience.
Made by Adidas who can be trusted to product high-quality items the Adidas Gym Bag is a tough, made of nylon material. Black in color, the bag has a detachable shoulder strap that helps you travel from location to location with ease.
15. Brooks Womens Glycerin 16 Running Shoe
- Soft cushioning with spring in the step
- Interior shank provides effective foot support
- Very breathable through mesh material
- Not many steps to break in
- Sizing runs true and without issues
Finding the right running shoe is essential in order to achieve that best running experience. One field that provides this type of variety is the running world.
The Brooks Womens Glycerin 16 is one of the most notable pairs of running shoes available today due to their superior comfort and added cushioning for the way you want to run. It is also one of the top rated running shoes for men and has a soft foam material for your foot while also being able to keep your feet dry and cool even as you sweat the hardest.
This comes with a cloud cell cushioned system which is the main factor for getting that spring in your step. By getting this cushion, you’re able to increase the comfort level and also reduce the shock as you run.
16. Mizuno Women's Wave Paradox 3 running Shoe
- Superior traction and grip on the road
- Extremely breathable
- Exceptionally lightweight and flexible shoes
- Soft upper for comfort and easy on the foot
- Very good all-around cushioning, especially in the heel
- Quick laces that can easily accommodate users of different foot sizes
- Secure fit for people on the go, perfect for high-intensity workouts
- Sizing runs a half size too small, take half size up from foot size.
The Mizuno Women’s Paradox 3 are by far the best pair of shoes for heavy runners in the world. The shoes are made with Muun midsole for excellent cushioning and comfort. They also have a DuoMax support system and an athletic, feminine design that makes them a pleasure to work out in.
In addition, the forefoot of the shoe is made entirely of Propulsion Rubber, which makes for an excellent grip on a variety of surfaces. Whether you are doing squats or sprinting to the finish line, you will feel secure in your landing with the rubber forefoot.
If you prefer a women’s running shoe, this is the shoe for you. The design and fit are ideal for female runners. The lightweight material makes for a quick run and the stylish print will have you confident and ready to go from morning to night.
17. New Balance Women's Fresh Foam 1080 V7 Running Shoe
- Lighter than other insoles
- Diverse color options
- Excellent comfort with a wide forefoot and heel
- Good stability for the upper
- Modular foam
- Heel can be too narrow for wide feet
- Cushioning could be better
- Width too tight for very wide feet
This is a great comfortable shoe that will suit the modern, active girl. The toe box is nice and wide, although it can be narrower for wider feet.
There is more than enough cushioning for daily runs, but especially for those who are looking for a shoe to run half marathons in.
The style is versatile enough to suit any activity and you can wear it regardless of the weather since it doesn't make you overly hot.
18. Saucony Women's Omni 15 Running Shoe,Grey/Purple/Pink,US
- Water resistant and highly breathable mesh upper.
- Lined with synthetic leather for added comfort and support.
- Compression molded EVA insole.
- Has flexible rubber outsole with high-abrasion rubber at high-wear areas and a video enhancing adiWear outsole compound.
- It features Omni forward propulsion design and flex groove.
- It offers boost and return energy midsoles.
- It has removable dual-density polyurethane mid-foot shank.
- Women-specific fit and feel with internal support.
- It provides gripping and non-slippery traction.
- It has wide platform for stability and balance on different surfaces.
- Requires higher maintenance of the shoe.
- It needs more time to air out before wearing.
- Price tag is hefty.
- Internal squeaking noise.
Choosing the right pair for you is very important. It doesn’t matter if they are the best running shoes, if they are not the right size they just won’t fit well. Let’s talk about what you need to know when choosing your new pair of running shoes…
First, let’s talk about your running style, everyone has a unique running style. Are you a heel striking runner? Or a mid foot striker? Do you run on your toes? Each of these running styles requires a different type of shoe. Here is a breakdown of the differences:
Heel striking runners need to look for a shoe with a extra cushioning to protect your feet from heel striking. This can cause a lot of impact on your knees, hips, back and other joints.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best shoes for heavy runners?
The best shoes for heavy running are the ones that fit well, are appropriate for the activity and correct your running style. No shoe makes up for shortcomings in your running posture, technique or form.
There's no such thing as "the best shoes" because everything from your size and weight to the surface you're running on makes a difference. For example, a runner who's 220 pounds and running on a smooth, even surface is not going to have the same shoe needs as a 125-pound person running on rugged, uneven terrain.
It's important to be comfortable and pain free when you run but often, heavy runners will need more than just their run of the mill running shoe to feel at their best. While some runners will immediately opt for a heavy-duty running shoe, others will need to opt for something more specific.
Are Hokas good for heavy runners?
For people that wear larger than average shoe sizes, Hoka One Clifton is probably the best running shoe comparing to the other giant shoes. Not that Hoka One Clifton is very thick and thick shoes are the most durable but Hoka One Clifton really is like the prince among the giants and for big guys, it is the best running shoes.
You may feel uncomfortable to Wearing Hoka One Clifton when you wear it for the first times but don't worry, once you wear it a few times, you will get used to it. If you have big feet, I would recommend you to try Hoka One One Clifton first and let's see if it works for you or not.
How long do running shoes last for heavy runners?
Almost all running experts agree that running shoes life span depends on many factors:
- Type of running (mostly on asphalt or asphalt mixed with sand)
- Type of running surface (like concrete or dirt)
- The amount of training per week
- The types of workouts (like weight training and plyometric exercises)
- Foot shape and type (length, width, support, flat feet, etc.)
- Weight of the runner
Experts say the average runner should replace running shoes every 300-500 miles (roughly 500-1000km) when they are no longer supportive enough. They can even help you estimate your running shoes mileage by entering the weekly mileage of your running shoes before you buy new ones.
What are the best running shoes 2022?
Salomon Speedcross 4 – Editor's Choice These are very stiff shoes and not ideal for running over lots of rocky or rooty terrain, but they are very supportive and comfortable to run in. Nike Zoom Rival S – A close second to the Salomon Speedcross 4 in terms of comfort and impact protection, but these have a nice touch of stability too.
Altra Superior 2.5 – Lighter than most and they have a wide toe box for comfort and a smooth ride.
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 – Best cushioning support and comfort in a shoe that supports heavy runners.
ASICS Gel-Flux 4 – A very light but supportive shoe with a lot of cushioning.
New Balance Fresh Foam Vongo 4 – A soft, bouncy ride but with some support for long term comfort.
Salomon XA Pro Ultra 3 – Light, minimal stability and fast paced design delivers a great ride for a heavy runner.
Nike Zoom Vomero 12 – Ideal for heavy runners who run more than 10 miles per week.
Brooks Launch 4 – This is an aggressive shoe for heavier runners who are more serious about their speed and training.
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 17 – Second heaviest but great for platforms, trails and high impact training.
New Balance Fresh Foam Vazee Pace – Good cushioning and support for heavy runners who run over 10 miles a week.
Nike Zoom Rival S9 – Affordable and easier to use than other shoes in line.
ASICS Gel-Flexor – Great shoe for single colored soles and it has a lot of cushioning and support.
Have you ever been embarrassed about running with your friends or while visiting a local gym, only to find out that you run differently than everyone else, especially due to the more impactful running style.
Or what about that sudden pain in your lower back that stopped you in your tracks during a run?
Fact is that women have significantly different shoe needs than men, so we want to dedicate this entire article to the best running shoes for heavy runners like you.
You see, everyone has different running styles and different foot types. Some prefer running on soft surfaces, while some prefer to run on the beach.
You find that you really enjoy shorter distance runs, but you sometimes also want to enjoy longer ones too.
If you are like me, you prefer a bit of both.
I love to run on soft surfaces, where I can also listen to my favorite music. But the problem is, when you weigh around 300+ pounds, you find that it will take you a lot longer to run on soft surfaces.
The same is true when running on the beach. Yes it’s very soft, but it’s also very difficult to maneuver.
I for one, personally run better on hard surfaces, especially when I am chasing better times.
To me, I love the challenge, and it’s even better when I can run safer too.
So, if you are a heavy runner, I wanted to share the best running shoes for big guys like you that you can buy today!
But before we do, let’s first discuss some very important factors that you need to consider when choosing the best running shoes for big guys.
|Brooks Mens Glycerin 17 Cushioned Road Running Shoe||Best Overall|
|ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe||Budget Pick|
|HOKA ONE ONE Mens Clifton 6 Running Shoe||Upgrade Pick|