If you have diabetes, it is very important to maintain a healthy diet. Eating a healthy gluten-free diet will help keep your blood sugar and cholesterol levels under control.
Maintaining a healthy diet doesn’t mean you have to eliminate all of your favorite foods. You just need to make smart choices and change your eating habits a bit.
One of the worst things you can do for your health is to replace your favorite foods with low-calorie, low-carb substitutes. Eating a protein-rich diet is the key to maintaining a healthy weight while healing insulin resistance. You need a protein-rich diet that is rich in Glutathione, a powerful antioxidant and detoxifier that helps your body heal.
Some foods that can help people with diabetes include legumes, fish, and a good ol' steak cut.
So what does that have to do with protein powder? A lot, actually! Protein is an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. You should feel free to add protein powder to your diet as long as you are aware of its pitfalls. You do not want to replace the protein you need from food with too much protein from powders. Beyond that, there are plenty of protein powders available that are healthy, including some with additional supplements that spur fat burning.
|Magnum Nutraceuticals Quattro Protein Powder||Best Overall|
|Biochem 100% Whey Isolate Protein||Budget Pick|
|NOW Sports Nutrition||Upgrade Pick|
1. Magnum Nutraceuticals Quattro Protein Powder
- Meets high manufacturing standards.
- Rapidly absorbs in to muscle tissue.
- Does not cause stomach upset from undigested protein.
- No adverse side effects.
- Great taste, all flavors and mixes well in shakes.
- Ultra-filtered for purest protein isolate.
- Very pricey compared to other protein powders.
PI manufactured this protein powder to meet their ultra-high level of manufacturing standards. It is not the least expensive protein powder on the market but you really do get what you pay for.
This high protein product is designed to be absorbed rapidly into the muscle tissue for direct use as energy and recovery. It is whey protein isolate, not concentrate, and is micro-filtered to remove as much lactose, cholesterol and fat as possible.
What this means to you: You get the purest, highest quality protein per serving.
2. MRM Whey Protein Powder
- Has a good flavor and mixes easily
- 25 grams of protein in each scoop
- Great for baking, cooking, or just drinking
- An inexpensive option for those needing a decent quality whey protein
- Contains zero sugar
- Contains zero carbs
- Contains no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains no soy or gluten
- Doesn’t taste as good as some other protein powders but it’s adequate
- Mixes slightly more watery than most other protein powders
- A little bit grainy, though this can be improved with a blender or shaker
- Contains 5 grams of carbohydrates
3. Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored 25g Protein
- One hundred percent whey protein isolate
- Pure protein with no sugar, no fat, and no carbs
- 25G of protein per scoop
- Big 3 pound in package
- Keto fitness protein powder
- No added colors, flavors, or sweeteners
- Non GMO verified
- Contains high-quality whey from domestic cows not treated with rBST hormone
- Combines essential amino acids and naturally occurring immunoglobins
- No artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners
- Expensive for the size
- Short expiration period of 2 months from date of purchase
- Only available online from Amazon
Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored is a great choice for a protein powder if you are on a keto diet.
This unflavored raw whey protein contains one hundred percent whey protein isolate with no sugar, no fat, and no carbs. It is fortified with naturally occurring branched-chain amino acids and essential amino acids. It is non-GMO verified because it comes from domestic cows not treated with rBST hormone. It also combines essential amino acids and naturally occurring immunoglobins required to support immune health. This product is fortified with vitamins and minerals. This protein does not contain preservatives. It only contains 0.5 grams of sugar. There are no artificial colors or flavors added.
4. Biochem 100% Whey Isolate Protein
- Less Sugar – Whey Isolate is naturally low in lactose and carbohydrates, so nothing was added to hinder your diet
- Loyalty program – Save money by signing up for the loyalty program
- Taste – Vanilla flavor is sweet but incredibly tasty
- Blend – Super smooth and easy to mix
- Price – Inexpensive when compared to other protein powders
- Not gritty – Easy on the mouth
- Bulkiness of the container – The container is 11.8 ounces so it’s a little bulky.
- Unflavored – The unflavored flavor is pretty bad, but the vanilla is great.
The Biochem 100% Whey Isolate Protein can be mixed with a variety of liquid food and beverages. It can be added to shakes, muffins, and cupcakes.
Being sugar free is a great advantage, as it can be added to many foods without the presence of sugar. The food industry sugar cane and corn are easily digestible and healthy that can help you reduce weight, lower bad cholesterol, and maintain a healthy body weight.
Additionally, Biochem 100% Whey Isolate Protein can be combined with foods to make healthy diet recipes. 100% Whey Isolate Protein can help users maintain healthy diet in different diet phases.
5. NOW Sports Nutrition
- Unflavored for customizing
- Proteins for muscles
- Rehydrates fast
- Mixes great.
- 100% Whey Isolate Protein sourced from Grass-Fed Cows
- Lower Lactose
- It’s more expensive than other protein powders
- The texture is chalky
Protein is a vital component of the diet of people who are looking to build and maintain lean muscle mass. This organic whey isolate is a great way to get the protein you need while still maintaining an organic diet.
It is highly bioavailable and digests quickly so you can easily combine it with other protein sources. The powder is unflavored, so you can mix it with anything you wish. It is completely organic and made from grass-fed cow's milk.
The powder mixes easily without clumps or a gritty texture. It leaves no aftertaste, and it is easier to digest than other protein powders. This is especially important for people who have lactose intolerance. The nutrition facts of one serving (40 grams) provides your body with 148 calories.
6. MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey
- Available in three flavors: Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate Milk.
- It is rich in protein and relatively low in carbs.
- The powder dissolves very easily in water when shaken.
- It mixes well in milk as well.
- The company uses Whey Protein Isolate (WPI). It is a highly pure form of protein that has up to 95% of its calories coming from protein.
- It contains the highest number of essential amino acids of any protein source (23).
- The taste is excellent and for the most part, you can hardly detect any flavor of artificial sweetener.
- The chocolate flavor is awesome and mixes well in both water and milk.
- The quality of the protein powder is simply amazing. It mixes quickly, easily, and it tastes sweet and smooth.
- Price is relatively high compared to other brands.
- The texture and the consistency of the powder is little thicker than other protein mixes.
MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey, Muscle-Building Whey Protein Powder is the perfect choice for women and gym enthusiasts. It is a high-quality whey protein that is not only beneficial to your fitness regime, but is also delicious. This is made possible by the fact that it has no training, artificial sweeteners or artificial flavors.
7. Pea Protein Powder
- 100% pea protein powder.
- No strong flavors.
- The smell.
- Limited information online about the company.
- No information about the type of vanilla used.
This powder is made of 100% pea protein and is available in vanilla and strawberry flavors. This specific product claims to have zero sugars, zero artificial sweeteners, and zero flavors however, the ingredients are vague enough to be unsure of what they mean by zero sugars.
This product claims to have 750 mg of catechins and antioxidants which makes it a good boost for immunity. It also claims to raise energy levels without any crash.
8. NOW Sports Nutrition
- Very low carb
- Digestive enzymes
- Original formula
- No taste
- Good protein source
- Will not cause bloating
- Gluten and lactose free
NOW Sports Pea Protein is an unflavored pea protein isolate consisting mostly of protein, free of fat and carbs. This product includes digestive enzymes. This unflavored Pea Protein is ideal for vegetarians and vegans, or anyone looking to replace dairy, meat, or egg protein.
It is also great for baking and smoothies, and adds nutritional value, and is high in fiber and branched chained amino acids (BCAAs). The powder is derived from the yellow (split) pea, and is also organic and Kosher – both products definitely worth looking into.
Exotic Nutrition Pea Protein comes in a bag and can be used in baked goods, smoothies, and shakes. It is one of the most flexible proteins you can use. You can also mix it with milk, water, or soy. It is not as sweet as whey, so adding a flavoring of some kind helps, but it’s great as a substitute in smoothies.
9. Dr. Berg’s Meal Replacement Shake
- All-natural, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free, non-GMO protein powder.
- Packaged in a BPA-free bag which is great.
- Delish brownie flavor tastes great and mixes well in milk or water.
- Only two ingredients are whole peanuts and peanut protein powder.
- Contains a good amount of nutrients such as fiber, protein, calcium, and iron.
- Super affordable.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
- Contains a mixture of vitamins and minerals.
- It’s available in one flavor only.
Dr. Berg’s Meal Replacement Shake with MCTs & BCAAs is a peanut-based protein powder that offers zero added sugars, no artificial sweeteners, no soy, and no gluten. It’s one of the best meal replacement powders for diabetics since it doesn’t contain any bad ingredients and is nutrient dense. Its creamy chocolate brownie flavor is also absolutely delectable.
10. Julian Bakery Paleo Thin Protein Powder
- It is 100% pure and Natural with no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors or preservatives.
- It is rich in protein and low in net carbohydrates.
- Its Contains 26 vitamins and minerals.
- It includes Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids.
- It contains no And No, No, artificial chemical.
- It naturally delicious and ultra concentrated.
- It is free from Soy, wheat, gluten, lactose, and sugar.
- It is perfect for Carb conscious diets.
- It is sweetened with stevia.
- It has 26g of protein and 6g of fiber.
11. Quest Nutrition Vanilla Milkshake Protein Powder
- Great Vanilla Flavor
- No Additives or Artificial Flavors
- Fewer Calories than other similar products
- Low Sugar
- Good Protein Content at 20g
- Unique Blend
- Some People Tip to Scoop
- Can alter taste of mixed beverages
- Can look grainy
Quest Nutrition has done it again with their shake mix. If you are looking to get the protein your body wants and you are watching your weight, then this is the best protein shake for you.
There is no other product similar and has a more unique blend that helps you reach your goals – for muscle gain or weight loss – quickly, easily, and deliciously. Until you taste it, you will not realize just how good it is!
As a bonus, they’re gluten-free, have no added sugars, and no soy…in fact, these are probably the closest to as pure a product as you can get.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which protein shake is best for diabetics?
In order to determine the right protein shake for a diabetic, you must decide whether the person has Type I or II diabetes. Type II diabetes can be treated with diet and exercise and that can shape a person’s diet. Type I Diabetics need to be treated with insulin or insulin-like agents. These people need protein shakes to help maintain proper levels of blood glucose.
If you are a type II diabetic, you probably should have protein shakes at least two or three times a day. Include a little more carbs than you would with a blood sugar that is healthy. Type II diabetics should probably keep their blood glucose levels in check by consuming protein shakes three to four times a day. You will need to adjust the amount of carbs you add to each protein shake. The key is to keep your blood sugar levels steady and within a moderate level.
Can Type 1 diabetic take protein powder?
Are protein shakes good for a diabetic? Are protein shakes good for blood glucose?
Yes, protein powders for a diabetic are surely best if you are a type 1 diabetic. Protein powder for diabetes helps in reducing blood sugar levels in your body. It also boosts the insulin level in your blood so that you can keep up your blood sugar levels.
Whey protein powder is best for diabetic patients because it keeps your blood glucose level under control. Many new research studies say that, if you have diabetes, you have to have whey protein so that your body can fight against the disease.
So, we can say that protein powder for diabetics are very useful and beneficial.
What meal replacement shakes is best for diabetics?
Having a good meal replacement shake to start your day or to replace one meal can be a great way to lose weight and it’s good for you as well.
We don’t recommend every meal replacement shake on the market. Quite the contrary, in fact, as we’ve chosen some of the best-tasting meal replacement products on the market that are also fairly low in carbs and calories.
When choosing a meal replacement shake for diabetics or those who want to lose weight, looking at the overall nutrition facts of the shake is key.
What protein powder do doctors recommend?
What doctors recommend the most is a whey protein powder that is high in leucine, which is an amino acid that is very good at repairing muscle tissue. Most powders are high in leucine, but the best whey protein powders will also have a high ratio of leucine to isoleucine and valine. Those are the other two branched chain amino acids that work alongside leucine in protein synthesis, but are not as good as leucine at changing muscle and maintaining muscle mass.
Protein is the most important nutrient for building muscles, strengthening and building bones, improving immunity, and keeping blood sugar levels under control.
It is important that diabetics consume protein powder, and one of the best protein powders for diabetics is pea protein powder because it is low in calories, high in protein, and low in sugar.
The best way to get a healthy amount of protein in your diet is by consuming high-quality protein powder. The best protein powder for diabetics are those that are devoid of unhealthy ingredients, can help you lose weight and build muscles, and have high protein content.
|Magnum Nutraceuticals Quattro Protein Powder||Best Overall|
|Biochem 100% Whey Isolate Protein||Budget Pick|
|NOW Sports Nutrition||Upgrade Pick|