Sometimes in life you have to keep going despite obstacles. Pre-workouts can help you do that.
The right pre-workout can help you get through tough workouts. Some people take it before their night shift.
Who are pre-workouts for?
If you are ready to work out, and want to work harder and long than you would without a pre-workout, consider trying one of these.
How do pre-workouts work?
Pre-workouts contain advanced ingredients that work together to make your workouts more robust, focus your mind on your exercise, and/or help you recover more quickly.
Can pre-workouts be dangerous?
Most pre-workout ingredients are not dangerous. However, ingredients such as caffeine, yohimbe, and beta-alanine can cause negative side effects.
We explain how to minimize side effects and the risks in our full guide.
|C4 Original Pre Workout Powder Fruit Punch | Vitamin C||Best Overall|
|ProSupps Mr. Hyde Signature Series Pre-Workout Energy Drink||Budget Pick|
|Bucked Up||Upgrade Pick|
1. C4 Original Pre Workout Powder Fruit Punch | Vitamin C
- No artificial colors, flavor or sweeteners
- Good absence of bad ingredients
- Gives a decent energy boost.
- Mixes well – no chalky residue
- The price
- The consistency – very gritty
- Cost per serving.
This pre-workout supplement was created for those who want strength, stamina, and support during their workouts. The supplement is made from natural ingredients, and contains beta-alanine, L-tyrosine, Taurine, creatine, and BCAA’s. The company claims that it does not contain any artificial ingredients and additives, making it a good choice for people who want a natural pre-workout supplement.
The supplement comes in six sweet, tasty flavors: Fruit Punch, Watermelon, Fruit Fusion, Strawberry Pomegranate, Iced Tea, and Cherry Lime, which is a refreshing twist on the traditional lemon lime flavors. The supplement is clean and simple, but has many of the ingredients that people want in their pre-workout.
The formula mixes well, and does not have a gritty finish. However, because it contains creatine, the consistency is thicker than other pre-workout supplements. Overall, this is a good pre-workout supplement, and the price is excellent.
2. Tier 1 Plus Preworkout / Performance Supplement
- Prime Energy (60 tablets)
- Rapid Energy (30 tablets)
- NoCrash (30 tablets)
- Recovery (30 tablets)
- Prime Focus (21 tablets)
- PhysIQ (30 tablets)
- Not all pills are vegetarian
- Contains caffeine. Not good for people sensitive to caffeine or for children.
Tier1Preworkout is a popular stimulant pre-workout that contains a combination of stimulants to provide energy, focus, endurance and power. Add that to the supporting research that shows benefits like increased strength, faster muscle recovery, muscle pumps, energy, loss of fat and increased cardio and you have a supplement that will increase workout intensity and help you reach your fitness goals.
The biggest benefit of the Tier 1 pre-workout supplement is that it’s convenient, low-stimulant and delivers results. There are a total of 7 workout pills that include four pills (1.7 g each) that are designed to enhance energy, three additional pills designed to enhance mental focus and one pill that helps reduce muscle fatigue.
3. ProSupps Mr. Hyde Signature Series Pre-Workout Energy Drink
- Amazing, sustained energy
- Focus and laser like focus
- The pump it provides is unparalleled
- Tastes amazing. This is hands down the best tasting pre workout I’ve ever tried
- You would think this is a coffee drink, but it’s not. It’s still got the pre-workout kick to it though
- Pump size is ridiculous
- No side effects. Some pre workouts make you feel the jitters or make you crash afterwards
- Huge volume of muscle building ingredients
- Makes the gym seem like you’ve dropped 2 levels of weight
This Energy Supplement is actually better than coffee, and might be the best Pre Workout for the better part of the day.
It also lasts a long time without crash unlike coffee.
It only took 4 scoops of this and I had crazy laser like focus, attention, and a tenacity to push myself from the first workout of the day.
4. Myth Journey Pre Workout Powder
- Huge energy boost
- Increased strength
- Increased endurance
- Great pumps
- Workout performance
- Great focus
- Tastes great
- All natural with no secret ingredients
- Price is amazing for what you get in return
- If you don't like the taste, no other flavors are available.
Our favorite pre-workout supplement right now is Myth Journey, and not just because it tastes great. This pre-workout is great for improving performance, endurance, and energy, all the while increasing pumps and focus as well. It’s a powerful and potent blend of a number of great ingredients, including stimulants, nootropics, and anabolic agents.
Bottom line, the Myth Journey Pre Workout powder is an awesome pre-workout that will give you massive pumps, increased strength in the gym, and a huge energy boost for your intense workouts.
So, what’s in it?
5. Bucked Up
- Lots of taurine and caffeine to help with energy
- 120 capsules per bottle
- Great flavor
- One of the best pre-workouts to get you motivated
- Has only 270 mg of caffeine (but that is still a lot)
- Primarily uses caffeine and creatine for energy
Creatine is one of the most studied ergogenic aids in sports nutrition. It may enhance anaerobic performance and increase lean body mass. This is one of the best pre-workouts for athletes looking to build lean muscle during their workouts.
Users report increased energy levels, increased motivation, and a sharper focus during their workouts. Many claim that Bucked Up can actually make them wake up several hours earlier than normal because of its energizing effects.
6. OMG Preworkout Drink
- Awesome taste, refreshing, no sludge or grit.
- Lots of energy within 20 minutes.
- Improved mental clarity without the jitters.
- No crash within 4 hours
- No down or sluggish feeling at the end of the day.
- No caffeine jitters all day and perfect if you are sensitive to caffeine.
- No pre-workout label and if you take it at night it might give some insomnia.
- Too much sustained energy if you take it at night.
- The price point is higher than average.
If you want to get a great pre-workout and with a natural great taste, then OMG pre-workout is a great recommend for you. It is a great choice for all-day focus and endurance.
It is a great natural alternative to the pre-workout supplements on the market and it really works for boosting your energy, stamina, strength and endurance. It can make you focused, active and powerful, and its organic energy blend works to enhance your mental and physical performance.
7. ORGANIC MUSCLE #1 Rated Organic Pre Workout Powder– Natural Vegan Keto Pre-Workout & Organic Energy Supplement
- Most ingredients are organic and natural
- Vegan certified and keto friendly
- Great for fat loss and lean muscle
- No crash or jitters
- Does not need to be cycled off like most other pre workouts.
- Needs to be taken with food
- New product, not too much information out about it.
This pre-workout is clean and safe and has a ton of great ingredients. It doesn’t have many fillers or artificial additives and is free of soy, gluten, dairy, and GMO. It can also be used without sacrificing your results and will not leave you feeling icky or overly energized.
True to its word, it does not leave you feeling nauseous, unlike many other popular pre-workouts on the market. It allows you to work out harder and longer without the feeling of being overly jittery or excited. This is a great choice for women who are looking for a natural pre-workout with no artificial flavors or colors.
8. Beyond Raw LIT Pre Workout Powder Energy Drink
- Great taste.
- Helps keep you awake for your work out with a kick of energy.
- Helping with focus throughout your entire workout.
- It can upset your stomach if you don’t “shake” the powder before you drink it.
- Everyone knows that pre-workouts aren’t just for teen athletes or people who want to get buff for summer, pre-workouts are a must for anyone who wants to get a boost during their week of working out and old school pre-workouts are the most effective.
- It’s always been that way so how come people are surprised that little 5 gram pre-workouts from Gaspari or Monster aren’t always the answer?
9. Pre JYM Pre Workout Powder
- 100% transparent label
- Best tasting pre-workout powder
- Safe and effective ingredients
- Free shaker inside every package
Pre JYM is one of the best pre-workouts for men and women of all fitness levels. It is a high-quality pre-workout powder that blends 9 high-quality ingredients for a phenomenal workout.
The Pre JYM contains Beta Alanine for prolonged strength and stamina, Betaine that enhances focus and energy, and CDP Choline to aide in mental intensity. JYM also features 2 forms of creatine and citrulline malate for an explosive workout.
Pre JYM has a 100% transparent label that is published on its website. This means you can be confident that you know what you are putting into your body.
10. Pre Workout Powder; KAGED MUSCLE Preworkout
- Pure preworkout powder
- Gives incredible focus during workouts
- Great for women too
- No jitters
- Blends well with plain water
- Added antioxidants
- Added amino acids and Vitamins
- Light weight formula
- Mixes well
- No aftertaste of bad flavor
- Do not mix with coffee, it can really keep you awake
11. Pre Workout
- Zero calories, zero sugar, zero carbs
- 30 servings per container
- Extra value
- Speedy delivery time
- Effective ingredients
- Product sold by Amazon
- Expensive price point
- People who use caffeine tablets daily may feel jittery
This pre workout supplement offers a great energy rush and sustained energy. It uses a powerful mixture of caffeine, synephrine and other natural ingredients with absolutely no sugar added.
It has a great taste, easy to mix and it makes you feel focused before a workout. It is incredibly affordable and is a great value for your money.
This is a decent pre-workout supplement that is affordable and unfortunately it’s not the best at what it does. You can use it if you feel like experimenting with it.
12. Jocko Discipline
- Very Effective
- Boosts Energy
- Great Flavor
- No After Taste
- Potent, Fast Acting
- Very Good Value
- Dependable & Long Lasting Energy & Focus
- No Crashes
- Better than Caffeine
- Some people may be sensitive to stimulants and find the energy level to be too high.
- Some people don’t like the taste.
This is one of the best pre-workout powders that you can find out there. Athletic Edge Nutrition doesn’t use any artificial ingredients and Jocko Drink’s awesome lemon-lime taste comes from real lemons and limes.
This is a great pre-workout pre-workout powder to give you a big boost of energy and caffeine-like focus on the cheap!
13. Vintage Blast Pre Workout
- It has natural flavors and sweeteners.
- It’s made in an FDA-registered, CSPC-certified facility.
- It features a blend of a few effective ingredients.
- This pre-workout supplement may be a good choice for endurance and stamina, but it failed to keep us as energized as we wanted.
Powder – 1 lb. – Performance & Endurance
It doesn’t dissolve well. This can cause to be gritty and generally unpleasant.
This supplement falls short with a few too many drawbacks to make it a great choice for us.
14. Insane Labz I am God Pre Workout
- Made in the USA – that is important.
- Stimulant free, safe to use with all medications.
- Non-GMO, GMO-free, and gluten free.
- All-natural ingredients.
- Manufactured with strict standards.
- Some people report that the product arrived in leaky plastic container but the product water tested clean and did not contain any signs of contamination.
- Some people report that the serving size is too big to fit in a shaker cup.
- Some people report that the product arrived in a plastic container with no security seal on the container.
- Some people report that product arrived opened but does not appear to have been used.
UP TO 50% More Free.
This is by far one of the best pre-workouts we've reviewed in our list of the top 21. Just like the Black Diamond Labs pre-workouts that we love so much, this pre-workout mix is also all-natural and safe to use with all medications. The manufacturer even tests the product before shipping, so you can be sure of what you're getting. It's manufactured in the U.S.A. and has very high ratings and reviews on Amazon.
15. INTENSIFY Preworkout
- If you are a beginner to pre-workouts, Intensify is a good, low-cost option.
- High quality, affordable preworkout for training, that won’t have you feeling jittery.
- Good options for energy with beta-alanine and energy boosts with l-DOPA, L-Citrulline and L-Arginine.
- The taste is not very nice, but that is a common problem with most pre-workouts.
- The caffeine used in the pre-workout can make you wake up in the night.
Intensify Preworkout is a great product that gives your gym sessions a boost of energy. If you’re looking for something to make you feel pumped before you work out, this is the right product for you.
When you use Intensify, your workouts will be much more focused and avoiding fatigue. This energy will help improve your motivation, energy, and motivation in the gym. This pre-workout will also stave off fatigue during your workouts and increase your muscle strength.
16. LUMBERJACKED Pre-Workout Supplement
- Great starter pre-workout
- Not too costly
- Great for beginners
- No crash. Long lasting energy.
- Simple formula, nothing fancy or complicated
- Only 30 servings per container
- Relatively easy on the stomach
- Flavor is wonderful
- Easy to mix
- No upsets to stomach
This is a good choice for people getting started or for occasional users of pre-workout supplements. It offers a little energy, but not too much and some strength building without a lot of side effects. It is also vegetarian friendly.
17. Genius Consciousness
Lion's mane mushroom is one of the smartest, most intuitive fungi in the world. Traditionally used in Japan for increased cognitive ability, until now it never has been available in the United States – until now.
This extract is hand-picked in the mountains of Japan to ensure maximum quality and effectiveness.
The genius controller is a full spectrum powerhouse packed with bran enhancing botanicals.
18. Evlution Nutrition ENGN Pre-Workout
- Effective pre-workout formula.
- Great container size.
- Increases power, endurance, and mental focus.
- Excellent taste.
- No crash.
Cons: The desire to crush your workout might be too intense if using this product.
This pre-workout formula comes in powder form and is free of Pikatropin. It offers a safe and effective pre-workout strategy for bodybuilders, cross-fitters, and other athletes.
Pikatropin, which is horribly addictive and could cause addiction-type withdrawal symptoms if you stop using it, is, fortunately, no longer present in this product.
19. MusclePharm Wreckage Pre-Workout Powder
- Energy without the crash
- Fat burning
- Excellent ingredient profile
- Powerful and effective
- The fruit punch flavor is mediocre
This is our top pick for the best pre-workout to take before exercise. This powder gives muscle-builders incredible endurance, endurance and focus while stimulating energy and an appetite for weight loss.
Touted as one of the most powerful pre-workout supplements on the market, MusclePharm’s Wreckage formula combines a potent testosterone booster with a performance enhancer to help you push through your workouts and get stronger.
The Matrixyl 3000 is used as an indirect GH booster and a testosterone booster. This compound is the reason why many believe that this is the best pre-workout to take at this time. It contains no banned substances, so you can use it legally and get shredded without worrying about getting on a banned substance list.
20. Vaxxen Labs Keto1 Ketogenic Preworkout
- Excellent, effective pre-workout
- Good energy without the jitters
- Clean and natural ingredients
- Transparent labeling
- A little bit hard to swallow
The KETO1 pre-workout is an excellent pre-workout supplement for those on a ketogenic diet or after a strength or weight-loss workout. Loaded with BHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate) salts, the KETO1 ketogenic pre-workout is also used for a low-carb diet for athletes.
When you take the product as directed, it will give you a speedy edge and an outstanding time with no crash or jitteriness. The product is made with green tea leaf extract which helps you to stay focused on your workout and can also be taken off a ketogenic diet.
It’s also safe to be taken by pregnant women and children. It comes in the form of a powder and you are advised to mix it with water, and it tastes really good too.
21. Flat Tummy Nootropic Pre Workout Powder
- boost dopamine levels
- Helps with leg cramps
- Prevent muscle fatigue
- Improves workout performance
- The powder mixes quickly and mixes well with water
- No weird aftertaste
Can you lose weight with just water? Water is the most important nutrient and you should drink lots of it. But you can also lose weight by choosing the right pre-workout powder.
This pre-workout powder is a delicious fruit punch flavored powder that you mix into a drink before your workout. It’s designed to raise your dopamine levels and boost your mental performance, energy levels, endurance and focus.
You just mix the powder into a beverage, shake and drink it before your workouts. It takes your workout to the next level without the jitters. You will experience increased energy as well as focus and productivity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does pre workout help you focus?
Pre-workouts are not supposed to make you concentrate better on the stack of paperwork that need to be filed by the end of the day. They’re supposed to give you laser-like focus on your workout.
For this reason, most pre-workouts contain caffeine. Caffeine will give you a big boost of energy but unlike coffee, it’s not as harsh on your stomach. The other ingredients in pre-workouts can also serve a variety of purposes. Creatine is known to help you lift more weight and burn more calories.
What is the best pre workout 2021?
This is a question that is getting harder and harder to answer. The reason being is that there are more pre workouts being released every year, and usually more than one pre workout being released every month.
It is very hard to keep up with all these releases, and no one can afford to try them all. But that is why I decided to create this guide. To name the top 21 pre workouts, to save everyone the trouble of trying these themselves.
What is the best pre workout for running?
If you want to lift, HIIT (high intensity interval training) or work out, you are going to need the best pre-workout to keep you going during your workouts and to keep you laser focused during your activities.
If you are into bodybuilding or weightlifting, you are going to want a pre workout supplement with some type of creatine, amino acids, beta-alanine and caffeine, but if you just want to get moving, then this list of best pre-workout supplements will set you up for success.
Always do your own research and read supplement labels before taking any supplements. Some people have unique dietary needs.
Will pre workout make me run faster?
This is a misconception a lot of people have about pre-workout. Yes, you will have better endurance, but not by a significant amount. What you will have is more focus and energy to help you put in a better performance and have more fun while working out. In short, you’ll be able to double the amount of weights you lift and lift them faster than you normally would with the same dumbbells.
Quality pre-workouts will also get you pumped up mentally and give you the drive to push yourself harder during your workout. When you push yourself harder, you build muscle faster, burn more calories, and get stronger faster. If you’re trying to lose weight or trim down, however, it’s best to find a pre-workout that helps curb appetite, since most of them give you an energy boost.
The pre-workout category is one of the most diverse supplement categories on the market.
Everybody has different needs and desires when it comes to pre-workouts.
Some people want the most laser-focused training session they’ve ever experienced.
Others want the most enduring physical energy.
There are still others who want better pumps, more endurance, more focus, better focus, etc.
It’s because there is not one pre-workout that will hit all of these needs, that we decided to go ahead and review some of the top rated pre-workouts for you in detail.
|C4 Original Pre Workout Powder Fruit Punch | Vitamin C||Best Overall|
|ProSupps Mr. Hyde Signature Series Pre-Workout Energy Drink||Budget Pick|
|Bucked Up||Upgrade Pick|