Finding the best gluten-free protein in 2019 is not an easy task. The market is flooded with cheap and ineffective products. There are many products labeled "gluten-free" but in reality they are not.
At the same time, the consumers have grown aware and products with poor quality are not appreciated anymore.
All the products reviewed here meet the requirements of the FDA for gluten-free food. Each product has different proteins, carbs and fats. These features determine the products effectiveness and price.
A good protein powder should significantly increase your protein intake. On the other hand, it should not be overly expensive or include ingredients that cause strong allergic reactions in the body.
|Whey Parent||Best Overall|
|Designer Protein LITE||Budget Pick|
|Pure Label Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate||Upgrade Pick|
1. Whey Parent
- Smooth and creamy taste.
- Pure and unadulterated whey protein isolate.
- 30g of protein per 2 scoops.
- Derived entirely from cross flow ultra filtered whey protein isolate with not a single added ingredient.
- Easy and convenient, you can just mix it in water.
- Builds lean muscle and aids in recovery from strenuous workouts.
- Sourced from American cows.
- The cheese flavor is a personal favorite.
- The label is easy to read.
- Sometimes the powder has a few small lumps.
- Won’t mix as well as some other protein powders like cottage cheese or a smoothie.
- You must mix it with water.
- The powder might sweat a little in a hot environment; it bothers some people.
- The powder can sometimes taste bitter which means some people won’t like the flavor.
2. Pure Label Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate
- Good value, reasonable price
- The taste is bearable
- Apple-cinnamon taste is pleasant
- No soy, no sugar
- Unappetizing smell
- Must use at least 1 scoop of powder with 8oz of water to get taste
- Some protein blends can result in frothiness, resulting in curled protein powder
- Some report acne outbreaks after using this product
Pure Label Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate, 100% Natural Grass Fed Protein Powder, Gluten-Free, Zero Carbs with No Added Sugar, 2lb Apple Cinnamon is an excellent alternative to soy and artificial sweeteners and is the best whey protein powder we’ve come across yet.
It mixes well into smoothies or any other tasty drink you want to create in your kitchen. It does contain stevia, which is a natural sugar substitute, which some people have compared to aspartame and artificial sweeteners.
But it is not as dangerous as believed and can help shed fat and trim your waist.
3. Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate
- The protein source (whey isolate) is grass fed.
- No fillers.
- No artificial anything.
- No gluten, no soy, no aspartame, no sugar.
- 100% cold pressed.
- The flavor is mild, fruity, not cloying.
- It mixes well in water.
- Clean label.
- Doesn’t taste overly sweet.
- Slightly more expensive.
- Consider a flavored option for some variety
- The flavor isn’t amazing
When it comes to the best protein powder for building muscle, you need to find a protein powder that is both effective and actually tastes good. This is where Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate from Primal Pantry comes into play.
Grass fed whey isolate powder has one major benefit over most other protein powders that can’t be stressed enough: it is 100% pure protein. You won’t find any added flavors, fillers, additives, or artificial ingredients in this protein powder.
4. Naked WHEY 1LB 100% Grass Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder
- Smaller protein serving size at 25 grams per scoop makes it more suitable for women when compared to the larger serving sizes typical of most whey protein powders.
- Has an undenatured protein source that is 100% grass-fed, that’s not made with any type of hormones or antibiotics.
- While most whey protein powders are made from dairy products, Naked Whey uses a lactose-free whey protein isolate.
Can help to preserve muscle mass, improve body composition, and sustain healthy hormone levels getting you into better shape.
Made in a facility that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, soybean, milk, eggs, fish, and crustacean shellfish, so it may not be the best choice for those with some food allergies.
5. Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder
- This Muscle Milk Protein Powder is a great option for somebody whose primary interest is in gaining weight for strength or improving muscle mass.
The powder is derived entirely from whey protein, which absorbs quickly and efficiently into your body. The casein, which makes up 20% of the protein source, is slow release. This means that it will keep you feeling full while you work out or between meals. In turn, this helps you to stick to your diet.
The protein powder is kosher, and it uses calcium caseinate, which is thought to have high bioavailability. It mixes easily, which is handy for those on the go. Its mixability scores a 90 on the peer reviewed, published industrywide Standards of Canadian Quality Control Tests.
This Muscle Milk powder comes in a 33-ounce container. It is available in a variety of flavors such as chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. It has 203 calories per one-scoop serving, and only 1.4g of fat.
6. Sunwarrior Classic Plus Organic Vegan Protein Powder
- Organic plant-based protein
- Vegan diet
- They add natural flavors and colors that are not found in the ingredients
- This product contains sunflower lecithin, which is derived from sunflower seeds
The first protein powder on the list comes from Sunwarrior. Sunwarrior has been making exceptionally high-quality plant-based protein for over 20 years.
This protein powder has a great flavor and texture. This product comes with a natural vanilla flavor, so you still get some of that distinctive, sweet flavor you’d expect from a vanilla protein powder.
It also includes BCAAs, making it an even more versatile option for an active lifestyle. This product is also easy on the stomach and has a gentle taste. It is a great option for vegan athletes.
7. Organic Vegan Protein Powder
- A complete and fully-balanced vegan protein blend featuring soy-free and gluten-free formulas.
- It is comprised of a nutritious blend of organic pea protein, organic hemp, organic rice protein, chia seed, and organic alfalfa.
- Packed with 21 vitamins and minerals, the plant-based protein powder is formulated with plant-based protein sources.
- The chocolate flavor tastes incredible while the vanilla flavor is also done right.
- Besides, the powder is 100% organic and does not contain artificial ingredients, GMOs, gluten, soy, dairy, or preservatives.
Also, the powder is made in the U.S.A. and is backed by a money-back guarantee.
This protein powder may not be suitable for individuals looking for a quick post-workout shake. This is because the mixability of the powder is average.
8. Garden of Life Meal Replacement Vanilla Powder
- Contains micronutrients like probiotics, enzymes, and vitamins.
- Contains organic raw sprouted grains such as buckwheat and brown rice.
- Good for weight loss, thus a good meal replacement.
- Plant based, which is perfect for vegan diets.
- The taste is not perfect.
- Contains a lot of sugar.
- Not for those who are lactose intolerant.
- Is complete meal replacement.
- It does not contain enough fiber.
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, 24 Grams of Protein-Garden of Life Meal Replacement Vanilla Powder.
Garden of Life is one of the best meal replacement powders for weight loss. It contains probiotics, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients. The live probiotics and enzymes in it help the body digest food better and keep the digestive system healthy.
This product is good for vegetarians as its main ingredient is organic and raw sprouted storehouse grains with antioxidants. The product does not contain harmful chemicals or bad additives. The only problem with this product is its taste. It tastes a little bland.
9. Designer Protein LITE
- Plant based.
- Balanced milk proteins.
- Sourced from US dairy farms.
- Non GMO.
- Gift packaging may be too basic.
- Expensive on Amazon.
- Can taste like flour.
- Could contain more protein.
The Designer Protein LITE powder is a natural protein that contains 20g of protein per serving. It contains 20 percent of the daily value for calcium and vitamin D. It is also lactose, gluten, dairy, soy and GMO free. The vanilla cupcake flavor has a creamy sweetness with a hint of vanilla without the use of artificial sweeteners. It has a low sugar and low sodium.
While this protein powder contains milk, it is sourced from US dairy farms and is non-GMO as well. It is also completely plant based.
The Designer Protein LITE powder is a good option to use before bed when your stomach will normally be more sensitive. Otherwise, it makes a good option to use before a workout in the morning or mid-day when you need more protein.
10. Raw Grass Fed Whey
You never have to worry about the quality when you purchase from a company like Happy Healthy Cows.
Their products are always third-party tested, so you are guaranteed of its quality and purity.
Some taste is not as expected. An aftertaste is present upon drinking.
11. Natural Force Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein Powder
(preferably Grass-fed Organic, Grass-Fed, Unpastuerized, and Non-GMO.
Most Whey Protein Isolate On The Market, Is Not A Excellent Source Of Whey Protein.
Improves Recovery, Performance, And A Healthy Lifestyle.
12. BiPro 100% Whey Protein Isolate
- Tastes truly great (you won’t care it’s better for you)
- Creamy, thick, high-quality source of protein
- 100% whey isolate
- Low carbohydrates
- Low in fat
- Gluten-free, lactose-free, and contains no artificial colors
BiPro is a popular, top rated whey protein for muscle builders. It’s one of the best vegan protein powders if you’re looking for a simpler, cleaner version of protein with no artificial sweeteners or flavors.
BiPro is a 100% isolate protein that is low-carb, low-fat, and high in essential amino acids to help you tone muscles, build lean muscle, and increase your energy levels. It’s a high-quality milk product that is also lactose and gluten-free.
BiPro formulas are available in a variety of flavors, and are specifically blended to complement your overall lifestyle goals. This specific product is an excellent gluten-free whey protein option with a great taste in classic French vanilla.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best gluten free protein powder?
If you are new to gluten free or sensitivity, you may be surprised at how hard it is to find good products. In some cases, tolerance will improve over time, but the best thing is to start out right.
Here are some of the things to look for when selecting a protein powder.
They must be completely gluten free.
They should not contain any artificial flavorings, colors or preservatives.
Some products have soy in them. Check the labels.
You want a protein source that is not all made from whey protein. A combination will balance out your protein intake.
Some of them have additional sweeteners. If you are trying to cut back or avoid sugar, this can make a difference.
Consider how much protein your body needs. Pay attention to your activity level and how many calories you should consume. The good news is that these will be relatively low-calorie drinks.
What is the highest quality protein powder?
Naked Nutrition CASEIN – This is one of the best protein powders with an overall score of 9 out of 10. It has a good amino acid profile, added probiotics, and has very low cholesterol and fat. This protein powder also does not have any added sugars or flavorings so it is good for your health. It has also been rated the number one protein powder on Amazon for several years now.
What is the best protein powder 2021?
Whey protein powder is an excellent source of protein, which is essential to muscle growth. Whey protein comes from milk, which is easily digested by the body. However, whey is not the only type of protein powder on the market.
Egg white protein powder is another high-quality protein that is popular among bodybuilders. As the name suggests, egg white protein powder comes from egg whites. It is high in protein and contains no carbohydrates or fats.
Soy protein powder is often added to breakfast smoothies and shakes as it is high in protein. Most soy protein powders used in shakes and smoothies are mixed with sweeteners such as sucralose, which means they taste better and can be enjoyed as a morning or post-workout drink.
Is there any protein powder that tastes good?
The first thing to understand is that protein powder itself, even when made with natural ingredients and sweeteners, isn't going to taste like a milkshake. If you're too used to drinking your protein in liquid form, a powder might take some getting used to. However, you should keep in mind that protein powders contain every nutrient the body needs to support growth and nourishment.
Protein powders are meant to taste “neutral” as a means of allowing you to mix it with anything. With some, if you can get past the taste for a few weeks, you might not even notice it anymore. However, most people go for the ones that have a more desirable taste. If you can get past the fact that they are excellent for you, the following protein powders might entice you.
If you are looking for the best protein powder for your post workout shake or breakfast smoothies, you will find our reviews the most accurate and up to date. What do we mean by up to date?
We take great pride in being able to ensure our review is always up-to-date based on the current consumer reports. Not only that, we will continue to watch out for any new products and update accordingly.
|Whey Parent||Best Overall|
|Designer Protein LITE||Budget Pick|
|Pure Label Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate||Upgrade Pick|