If you are an elderly person or you have just been injured the best thing to do is to keep moving. One of the easiest and healthiest things you can do is to do your stretches exercises. And for many different reasons.
They help to reduce your risk factors of falling and improve your balance. In addition, they promote your joint mobility and keep your gastrointestinal system strong. And they have been shown to reduce having a hip fracture in women ages 65 or older. Even help to reduce the risk of infection in your bones and muscles.
But you need to do more than just about it. You need to be sure that you are doing it the right way. And who would know better how to do it or what equipment you might need than medical experts. Simply because anyone who is injured or trying to recover needs to proceed with care.
So we have reached out to two experts and ask them about the most essential equipment that seniors need. And what they had to say is pretty interesting. So let’s dig into the details of The Best Exercise Equipment for Seniors & Machines Reviewed that you might need.
|Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross Trainer and Elliptical||Best Overall|
|Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands||Budget Pick|
|Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike||Upgrade Pick|
1. Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross Trainer and Elliptical
- Excellent ease of use.
- Cares for knees.
- Easy to store.
- Exterior is non slip for a firm grip.
- Easy assembly.
- Check Price on Amazon
For seniors who want a cross training machine that gives them easy on and off and feels natural and smooth, this is an excellent choice. The movement that it gives is just like walking or using a treadmill. It is ideal for those who have a difficult time with stairs or who might fall with the excitement of cardio exercise.
The base is stable and has a non-slip material that helps keep it from sliding around. This makes it easier to use and keeps you safer. If you are one who relies on a machine that might be easily moved about then this one will be a pleasant surprise. Once it is in place, you are safe and steady and ready to get your workout underway. It is invaluable for those who have mobility issues and can allow those who are in the later stages of arthritis to still get some of their cardio work and movement without as much stress.
2. Cubii Pro Seated Under Desk Elliptical Machine
- Smooth, quiet motion
- Portable and can be moved from room to room
- Clear LCD display screen
- Ability to connect to Bluetooth and Fitbit
- Low impact on knees and joints
- Suitable for a wide range of ages and fitness levels
- Some say the tension does not change smoothly
- Not suitable for larger individuals
Display, Portable & Lightweight, Works Anytime, Anywhere, Great for Office & Home, Black.
Cubii is an easy way to add a little more movement into your day while sitting at your desk. It’s small and compact enough to fit under your desk. That’s a great option for people who are looking for a exercise bike for home that doesn’t take up a lot of room.
It has an ergonomic design that allows it to feel like you are riding a real bike. It can be used all day long without having to worry about accumulating a large amount of sweat.
3. Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Bluetooth Magnetic Rower Rowing Machine
- * High-quality materials, great design
- Sturdy frame
- Expandable design
- Excellent performance
- Bluetooth system to get updates and set your workout with your phone
- Needs more padding in seat
- Foot bar might be too wide for some users
If you want one of the most powerful rowers on the market, this one from Fitness Reality will exceed all of your expectations. Whether you're an elite athlete or a beginner with this new exercise regime, this rower is perfect for you.
The GPS system installed on the machine gives you a complete list of workout options as well as the time, distance, and speed you've covered so far – giving you all the data you need to push yourself harder when you're working out. The integrated Bluetooth function connects you to a virtual coach so you can even incorporate HIIT and high intensity training.
The Fitness Reality Magnetic Rowing Machine also comes with an extension panel, so you can change and add the resistance to match your physical capability. It can help you lose weight by working out your muscles and burning calories.
4. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Built-in speakers for your Ipod
- Great for seniors and older people or those needing to sit while exercising
- Has enough features for other exercises: Sprints, intervals, etc.
- Contoured seat for good comfort
- Metal construction with a powder coated finish
- Decent size, the bike measures 28.5 x 37 x 56 inches
- Basic features (speed, time, distance)
- Small seat cushion
In this modern age, our globalized society of today has various kinds of health issues. A lot of people don’t have much time in the day; they have to go to work, take care of their families, raise their children, look after their pets, and so on. Consequently, they have no time for themselves or their own health. This leads to major problems such as obesity, depression, anxiety, stress and various other issues. However, there are various kinds of low impact exercises that can help.
This recumbent exercise bike ME-709 by Marcy is one of the best recumbent exercise bike for seniors as well as for people who are into light exercise after a long day at work. It helps to relieve stress, depression, anxiety as well as improve on your body functions.
5. TheraBand Resistance Bands Set
- A great option for your home in terms of upper and lower body workout.
- The colorful bands can be used for varying levels of resistance.
- The band is a bit difficult to unroll, especially when one is trying to use the band on the floor of a gym.
- If the packaging were to change, it would be much easier to open.
An ultimate bodyweight exercise device. These colored elastic bands are a perfect selection item for your stretching exercises. Customize your exercise and strengthen your muscles for a perfect summer or winter trimming.
Makes a great gift for someone looking to increase strength without adding weight to their body.
6. CAP Barbell 150-Pound Dumbbell Set
- Decent quality for affordable price
- Includes standard pair of dumbbells and a stand.
- User-friendly weights and hand grips
- 15 different weight increments
- Provides a fairly wide weight range.
- Weight increments aren’t equal. That is, you don’t have increments of 5 pounds. Your weights will be more like 9 to 11 pounds
- Best for people with shorter arms
- Won’t fit the bulky weight plates as they’re too thick. This is good for some people, not good for others
If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive pair of adjustable dumbbells for home use, look no further than this set from CAP.
At a max weight of 150 pounds, they should be sufficient, but the weights are not distributed equally. Instead, some of the pairs top out at 11 pounds, so you’ll have to skip over a few weights.
If you are concerned about this, just get a 20-pound barbell weight set and a set of spinlock collars and you should be set.
7. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower w/LCD Monitor
- Easy to fold up for storage
- Lightweight and compact design
- Easy to use rower design
- Cardio workout 35 years of solid warranty.
What if you’re on a tight budget, but still want a sturdy, solid, and reliable workout machine? The SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower w/LCD Monitor from Sunny Health & Fitness is a great option to look into.
It doesn’t come with all of the bells and whistles of more expensive options, but it doesn’t fall short on features either. The SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower w/LCD Monitor offers effective magnetic resistance and a low-impact workout. The rowing machine is lightweight and compact for easy storage and portability.
The LCD monitor keeps track of your distance traveled, time, strokes per minute, total count, and calories burned. The display is easy to read, and it also allows you to track your performance using a USB port.
8. Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series
- Lightweight at 45 pounds
- Easy to assemble
- 22 resistance settings enable you to do a wide range of workouts
- Pulse monitor with target zone tracking and a backlit LCD console.
- Quiet operation
- Built-in programs and manual mode
- Flex-strut technology for smoother operation
- Several basic modes include preset workouts to get started on bike training
- 3D Fit program helps users work out every body part through bike training
- The console is easy to read
- The handle is made of cheap plastic
- Seat is rather uncomfortable
Our second selection is the Schwinn Recumbent Bike SRC555 which is the best exercise bike for beginners because of its awesome workouts that acheive fitness in an enjoyable manner.
Many experts call it the best home exercise bike for weight loss because of its ability to engage the entire body and burn fat in a pleasant way along with other training plans like strength training.
It is also a good recumbent exercise bike for seniors due to its extra padding in the seat that is needed for extended workouts and is adjustable for individuals in different sizes.
9. Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands
- Very affordable option
- Commercial-grade quality
- Strong, durable
- Work for abs, arms, back, legs.
- Great for men and women
- Great for travel
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- These bands are so versatile – the uses for them are endless! These are common in many major name gym’s around the nation
- Available in 5 different levels of resistance, in case you are just starting out or are need of advanced strength training.
- Available in a set of 5 different levels of resistance for maximum strength training options
10. SereneLife Smart Digital Folding Treadmill
- Simple, lightweight design makes it easy to transport
- 3 different incline settings and 16 pre-programmed workouts
- Does not require any other pieces of equipment
- Weighing only 84 pounds, it is easy enough for most people to move around
- Some customers have complained that it shakes as you walk on it
- Some have also complained that the belt is too short
- Other complaints have stated that the machine is hard to secure and lacks adjustments available on other models
Though it is one of the less expensive treadmills on the market, the quality of the SereneLife treadmill is less than satisfactory.
The belt shakes when in use, and there are not any good settings. This is a very basic treadmill, but it does fold up for easy storage. It is also relatively lightweight compared to other treadmills.
It measures 48 x 84 inches and has a footprint of 42.5 x 64.5 inches. Customers have only praised this treadmill for its portability, but that is really the only positive feature it has.
11. Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike
- Has a wide range of functions to provide all-in-one workouts.
- Good features like the LCD display, adjustable seats and multiple hand pulse sensors.
- The built-in fans, speakers and tablet holders to watch TV or a movie while exercising so that you could enjoy both your indoor and outdoor exercises.
- Wider seat and more space for your feet, so that you could take it comfortably.
- The bike seat is made of plastic material, so that it can be easily broken or broken.
- But some users feel that they can not pay attention to the bicycle maintenance for long time, which may lead to frequent maintenance.
- If you’re looking for an exercise bike that’s well-rounded, and the most popular equipment in the gym, then Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike with Free Motion Arms and Pulse is the one to choose.
This is Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike with Free Motion Arms and Pulse. It has a wood grain finish and padded seat with a backlit display and wired controller/pulse sensors.
You can adjust the two padded seat positions to suit your height. Adjustable seat that enables it to accommodate a wide range of user heights. Its built-in speakers allow you to watch TV or a movie while exercising, which makes exercising enjoyable and fun.
12. Power Systems VersaBall Stability Ball
- 10-year warranty
- High-quality construction
- Good value for the price
- Excellent for working the core, arms, hips, and legs
- Encourages engagement from multiple muscle groups at once
- Durable and sturdily made
Directions for assembly could have been better. Someone with a bit of experience will have no problems, but a beginner might have trouble putting this together
The Power Systems VersaBall Stability Ball is another inflatable fitness exercise ball that is meant to be used for abdominal workout, core workout, and for lower abdominal workout.it has maximum weight capacity is 300 pounds, and it has an air release valve with a pin that is made of stainless steel.
It is made of PVC material, and it fits perfectly between doorways for that always in-convenient abs workout.It also has a durable 15-year warranty, so you can really trust this ball not to burst.It also meets all the quality standards of the American Physical Therapy Association.
13. TheraBand Exercise Ball
- Good quality exercise ball
- Able to hold up to 400 lbs
- It allows you to achieve muscle balance
- The ball has a plastic odor when it is new
- It is very firm. Lack of inflation, it could be considered uncomfortable
This exercise ball is perfect for all individuals who are active and want to improve balance, posture, and strength. This allows individuals to create strength and stability in their core while helping individuals achieve muscle balance.
This exercise ball is made with a unique material that makes it simple for individuals to adjust the ball as they move. It helps to create progressions that are natural and can be accomplished by anyone. It also offers support and is able to hold up to 400 lbs.
14. Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
- Rugged, stable, and well built.
- PM5 Performance Monitor included.
- Great return on investment.
- User-friendly with easy assembly.
- Saves on gym and personal trainer fees.
- Can be used for full-body workouts.
- Increases cardiovascular endurance.
- Provides a full, natural range of motion.
- Suitable for all fitness levels.
- Small footprint for limited home use.
- Noisy for the user.
- Expensive for some.
- Limited space and capacity
- Need to be properly fitted for use.
- Maintenance required.
If you are looking for high end exercise equipment, one of the best basic fitness machines is the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine. This exercise equipment is manufactured by Concept2 and it has an outstanding reputation in the exercise equipment industry.
The exercise equipment provides a very good workout for both men and women and it is also suitable for both beginners and advanced users.
15. ProGear HCXL 4000 Ultimate High Capacity Extra Wide Walking and Jogging Electric Treadmill
- High-quality materials, quiet, and comfortable.
- Easy-to-use control board.
- Heart rate monitor with chest strap.
- Safety key included to initialize the speed and incline when switched on or to stop the machine if there is an emergency.
- User will need to give a maximum weight of 400 pounds.
- The running belt is 3.2 inches and extra wide to accommodate all body shapes and sizes.
- The speed range only goes up to 6 miles per hour.
- Large treadmill dimensions – 60W x 27L high.
The ProGear HCXL is a great choice for multi-purpose walks, jogging, and running. It features a 12-inch brushless motor, extra large console with easy to read heart rate monitor and safety key. The treadmill features the Pro-Guard System with a self-tensioning belt system that provides a smooth, powerful workout.
The HCXL has two incline levels, an incredibly large deck that measures 63 by 158cm, a 1/2-horsepower continuous duty, 12-inch brushless motor, a strong motorized aluminum treadbelt, extra-long safety key and a self-tensioning electronic belt.
16. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- Entry-level recumbent bike
- Lightweight and folds up for easy storage
- Distance, time, speed, and calories burned displayed easily at a glance
- Comfortable back support
- Ships with bungee cords to help secure equipment to it
- Pedals are a bit wide making it hard to stay balanced
- No advanced features
- Seat is a little uncomfortable for longer rides
Sitting upright is not only bad posture, but it puts stress on your back. Using a recumbent bike will help to relieve back pain and strengthen your core.
This model from Exerpeutic has 8 levels of magnetic tension, so you’ll never find yourself unable to pedal fast or hard enough. It also has 18 digital resistance levels, so you can customize your workout all in one simple machine. The Exerpeutic has an LCD display that tracks your time, speed, distance, and calories burned, making it simple to track your progress.
The Exerpeutic also has a padded seat with an adjustable backrest and seat back. It folds up for easy storage, a pulse monitor, and a heart rate control strap to help you tread at the right rate.
17. SOLE E35 Elliptical
- Allows you to rock out while you exercise with its built-in speakers.
- It features a powerful 2.5 horsepower dual-magnet belt motor, which is reliable and sturdy.
- It has a low 20-pound flywheel weight.
- Its console is spacious and it comes with a compact LCD display.
- Higher-priced model.
- Its display is somewhat small.
- It is relatively heavy.
The SOLE E35 is a high-quality elliptical designed to last the test of time. It is built with a heavy flywheel and a magnetic resistance system like in fitness clubs. It also features built-in Bluetooth speakers that you can access with your smartphone.
This is one of the best gym-quality elliptical machines for the home, as it gives you a way to shape up while burning through the latest hits. When you’re not jamming to keep you moving, the machine itself has a smooth, natural motion that requires very little effort.
It also has a spacious display with a large LCD display so you can see your workout stats at a glance. It includes SOLE proprietary shoe tracking technology that provides a quieter ride and additional comfort.
18. GYMAX Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill Cardio Electric Running Machine Treadmill
- Makes a great gift for seniors.
- 6 preset programs makes it easy to get started.
- Open and unrestricted deck design.
- Commercial-quality Flywheel ensures a smooth, consistent performance.
- Ergonomic design with extra-long handles for easy transportation.
- Convenient monitor panel features speed, time, distance and calories burned.
- Affordable price.
- Sturdy and stable assembly with non-slip rubber feet.
- The build quality could be better.
- The belt has no cover to protect your outfit.
- The machine is a bit noisy.
This is one of the most popular machines for seniors. It is sturdy, stable, and can be used at home.
It has extra-long handles that allow for easy transportation. The height and depth of the display is easy to adjust to suit the user. The measurement units can be changed to metric or imperial instantly. The console keeps a track of your progress with speed, time, distance, calories.
There are 6 built-in programs: manual, fat burning, interval training, warm-up, cool-down, and target heart rate. The machine has a decent level of accuracy considering its price range. The handlebars do not move. When you do your workout, they do not move with the handle position.
19. ProForm Performance 300i Treadmill
- Great computer with easy to read display and a powerful performance.
- Solid frame construction with lifetime warranty on frame and a 2 year warranty on the motor.
- Easy to fold for storage, and it can be done by one person.
- Heart rate monitor tends to err high and not accurate.
- The motor is a little loud.
This ProForm treadmill is perfect for those who want to move away from the stair machine or elliptical machine, and really get a good cardio session. It has a powerful 2.25 hp motor to help you achieve your fitness goals.
It has a cushioning system that is just right for your joints and feet. It has a great range of speed, although users have said the Treadbelt doesn’t have speed choices when it updates the speed.
The ProForm Performance 300i has a really cool program to capture your full workout and allows you to improve it with tests of your cardio fitness. It even allows you to add or keep notes for each workout. It has a solid frame, but foldable to make it easy to store.
20. Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike
- 9-inch extended seat with lower back support.
- Hand pulse sensors available on handlebars to track heart rate.
- Looks like you are cycling across the countryside.
- Maximum user weight is 300 pounds.
- Affordable price.
- LCD screen tracks distance, time, speed, calories burned, and heart rate.
- Bike is on the noisy side.
This model does everything you would want a recumbent bike to do. It has a big, padded seat to take pressure off your back and a large LCD screen that tells you how far you have gone, how much time you have traveled, and just about anything else you would want.
The seat can be adjusted to multiple positions. That makes it comfortable and convenient for individuals both tall and short. If you have an issue with back pain or want to reduce the amount of pressure on your back, this stationary bike can be a great choice. It comes with 8 levels of magnetic tension. Plus, you can adjust the seat easily and make adjustments to intensity with the tension knob.
This is a smooth and comfortable bike to use whether you are doing long rides or using it for general cardio and toning. It has several built-in programs and a quick speed button on the LCD screen.
21. Nautilus Elliptical Trainer Series
- Smooth motion with no jerking
- LCD display keeps you updated on time, calories and distance
- 22 built-in programs
- Higher-end looking console
- Smooth design with large foot pedals
- Quieter than most ellipticals
- It’s on the heavier side
- LCD display is not backlit
This elliptical is a great choice for the elliptical exercise enthusiast. It is easy to navigate through the programs (there are twenty-two of them) and the large, extremely quiet and smooth moving pedals make for a great workout.
The resistance levels are all achieved through a very smooth, almost seamless transition of the elliptical arms through their motions. Additionally, it comes with a built-in, foldable transportation wheel so that it can be stored against a wall straight up and down.
This has a sleek, quiet design and although it is a little more involved to use, the design, smoothness and quietness make this a great choice for a home elliptical, especially for the serious athlete or CrossFit enthusiast.
22. GYMAX Barbell Weight Set
It's a full set that includes everything you need for a barbell workout at home, including plates, and you get free shipping. The collars are the star lock system so that they will fit on all standard bars. The weights are very good quality and are balanced and arrived just as I expected.
These are not the heaviest weights there are, but the ones I bought fit my needs and those of my husband. For serious lifters, this is not the worst they can do, and for what I wanted they are great.
Since having our second child I've been looking for a way to get back into shape without spending a fortune or having to go into the gym. I have never lifted weights before but I always thought it would give me that extra edge on the motherhood. This set is perfect for me and I feel safe using them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best exercise machine for seniors?
When it comes to getting exercise, seniors need something that is simple and effective. Generally, seniors and rustic or something that can give them a full body workout with minimal effort. Being able to adjust the difficulty of a machine is also a huge plus!
Most of us know our aging-parents are not using High Intensity Interval Training and CrossFit to get in shape, they just want to work out in a way that keeps them healthy and active.
What are the Best Gym Bags with Backpack Straps?
If you can only afford the best crossfit gear you should look at Amazon. They have the best prices in most cases and they also create room for discounts. These products are already discounted but if you have an eye for a good deal you might find a much-better-than-expected bargain.
What is the best all around exercise machine?
The Marcy Urethane Upright model is a good one for most people. There are cheaper machines and more expensive ones but Marcy has some of the most affordable equipment, especially when you consider the value you get for your money.
The Urethane Upright is a cross between a recumbent bike and a rowing machine. You can sit or stand during your workout, which is a huge benefit. It is a good machine for beginners and it is also one that more advanced users can take advantage of. It is an affordable way to get a good cardio workout and a good lower-body workout. This is a well made machine that is affordable and durable.
What is the best month to buy exercise equipment?
For what product?
We will assume that you have an exercise routine in mind that you wish to pursue. You clearly know what to buy before you purchase it.
The best month to buy exercise equipment is January. For outside exercise equipment, it is January to April. For home exercise equipment, it is June to September.
Exercising has many proven health benefits, particularly if you have the right equipment and knowledge. Not only is it good for your body and your mind, but it is also good for your wallet.
People are always looking for a new way to exercise and so they are looking to invest in new equipment.
The new year is a good time to drop off a few pounds quickly. You can invest in the right kind of weight loss equipment such as a treadmill, exercise bike, stationery bicycle, or rowing machine, so that you can start your exercise program on the right foot.
What is the best exercise equipment for over 50?
Just as life in general is more difficult if you are overweight, this is also true of exercise. If you are having trouble working up a sweat, getting your heart rate up, or even doing something fun, try changing up your routine. A different exercise machine or different source of resistance can be all you need to begin burning calories and toning your muscles.
Even if you do not have the perfect equipment at home, take a look around your community. Many cities have community centers with all manner of equipment to meet nearly every need. Many senior communities have fitness areas, and many gyms and community centers offer special programs for older people.
When the bones go out of alignment and each joint and muscle begins to weaken, a person may begin to feel the effects of age. The body begins to slow down and quiet, but it's just the opposite if exercise is put into the daily schedule. As long as the body can be kept fit through exercise, age doesn't have to mean deterioration.
|Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross Trainer and Elliptical||Best Overall|
|Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands||Budget Pick|
|Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike||Upgrade Pick|