Think Casein is going to help you build that lean muscle and flatten your stomach? There is a good chance you can do better. Have a look at our reviews here to learn about the best Casein protein powders for you.
What's the difference between Casein and Whey protein powders?
When you are shopping for a proper protein powder there are many important things to take into consideration.
For instance, whey protein is quickly and completely digested by your body. This makes it ideal as a post-workout meal because it gets to work quickly to help build and repair your muscles.
Casein is not so quick and is not completely absorbed, meaning the body needs to spend a bit more time digesting it. This is fantastic for long-lasting, slow-digesting protein when you go to bed.
So which one is best, Casein or Whey? You can read the detailed breakdown here on casein vs whey. Bottom line: both are great and what to get depends on your goals.
So you have read the articles and done your own research. You now know what makes a good protein powder. If this sounds like you then read our review article here.
|Driven Casein||Best Overall|
|True Nutrition Micellar Casein Protein||Budget Pick|
|Naked Casein||Upgrade Pick|
1. Driven Casein
2. Dymatize Elite Casein Protein Powder
- Works well for pre-bedtime shakes.
- Non-GMO and glutamine peptide-free.
- Perfect for anyone who is lactose intolerant.
- Extremely rich taste.
- Can be expensive.
- Cheapest place to buy this protein is at Walmart.
Another versatile protein powder, Dymatize provides a great source of protein that can help you reach your fitness goals.
Casein is a protein that is produced from milk. It is a slow-digesting protein, which means that it is absorbed by the body over time.
This protein powder is the perfect pre-bed snack. The taste is rich, and it mixes well with other foods such as peanut butter or yogurt. It is also packed with vitamin B6 and contains no added sugars.
3. MUSCLE FEAST Grass Fed Micellar Casein
- Great price point
- Excellent source of protein
- Good natural taste
- Gritty and chalky
- Easily mixes
- Very light flavor
As years of research has proven, micellar casein is perhaps the most muscle building and anticatabolic protein powder there is. The problem is, most powders on the market are loaded with additives and synthesized vitamin mixes that have the casein in them already. This makes it virtually impossible to go a day without some good natural tasting micellar casein powder!
Rice, whey and egg protein powders are all fine, but they are definitely inferior to micellar casein for building muscle.
Micellar casein isolates and concentrates are super expensive, so we always recommend you go with a micellar casein powder when your budget and your taste buds agree.
4. Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- Ingredients are thoroughly proven chemical free.
- It is a certified organic product.
- It can be taken right before bedtime without any worry as it is an easy digestible protein.
- No need to dissolve first as it is easily mixable
- This is a single ingredient product and hence it contains a little amount of carbs. So if you are on a low carb diet then this is not the right product for you.
- More expensive compared to many other products in the same range.
- The taste of chocolate vino flavor maybe liked by some and disliked by a lot.
The Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein Protein Powder is a unique product because such protein powders are hard to come across. This powder is derived from milk via a process called microfiltration. This product is strictly vegan and a high quality protein power that is genetically engineered and modified free.
It is a favorite among people who do not consume any animal product in their diet. This is basically a blend of natural micellar casein and has added only a small amount of sweeteners and is a better alternative to dairy products.
The taste of this product is not bad. It tastes like chocolate truffle. Since it is a single ingredient protein powder it is relatively high in carbs (8.6 g) as compared to other protein powders.
5. Bulksupplements Casein Protein Powder
- Works fast.
- Fairly priced.
- No artificial ingredients.
- Easy mixability.
- Excellent taste.
- Fewer side effects.
- Natural ingredients.
- Made in the USA.
- You need to mix it in a blender.
- A bit chalky.
- A bit more expensive than others.
- Some shades of yellow.
- Not a complete protein.
What makes this protein so exceptional is its perfect blend of natural ingredients. Unlike other similar proteins, this product also has aspartame free.
BulkSupplements Casein is an exceptional product that delivers all the aforementioned benefits, but it is well-known that, unlike other proteins, this one is not recommended to be used immediately after training or immediately before sleeping.
In order to experience the supplement’s benefits you have to give it a 10 minutes rest period. Furthermore, you have to mix it in a blender or shaker, as it is not recommended that you mix it in a cup.
6. BodyTech Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- Easy to prepare and dissolves easily
- Easy to use scoop, can mix it with water or milk
- Tastes delicious, no clumping and delivers great consistency
- Very good source of protein, helps you sleep better
- Excellent for building muscle and a great way to increase your protein intake
- This protein powder doesn’t contain any fat or carbs
- This protein powder is hypoallergenic and gluten free
- This protein powder doesn’t contain any sugar or artificial colors
- This protein powder is low carb, ideal for natural bodybuilding
BODYTECH Micellar Casein Protein Powder can be mixed with milk or just water. People who chose milk find that it mixes more easily. There is also the option of mixing it with fruit juice. Some people like to use it with yogurt or peanut butter. It is a great protein powder for those who are looking to gain muscle while losing weight.
This protein comes in a 64 ounce container. It contains 24 grams of protein per serving. This is a slow release powder, formulated with an extended release for overnight muscle recovery. With the amino acid profile, it can offer your body with up to eight hours of slow lactic acid release.
7. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- Use pure casein protein as your nighttime snack.
- Pleasant taste.
- 100% Micellar casein protein.
- Good for muscle growth.
- Some digestive issues.
- You may need to use more water than directed.
- Small casein powder particles.
This is a great casein protein powder providing an optimal ratio of essential amino acids for building muscle plus a few added ingredients for digestion support and muscle repair. It is 100% micellar casein protein, with no artificial flavors or colors, and only 110 calories per scoop. Its also instantized, which means it dissolves easily in water.
WARNING: For those of you suffering from lactose intolerance, this is not for you. The source for this casein protein is from cows’ milk.
8. Kaged Muscle
Casein is best for muscle recovery. Micellar casein keeps the amino acids in your system longer. This is great for muscle repair and growth.
The protein powder is Micellar casein protein. It is banned substance free. It does not nitrate your blood.
The protein powder provides 17% more protein than regular casein powders. Micellar casein is better and provides more calories than regular casein powders.
9. 100% Casein Protein Powder I PROMIX Unflavored Micellar I USA Pastures I ONLY 1 Ingredient I Stimulate Muscle Growth & Recovery Slow Release Amino I Preservative Free Keto Bulk 5LB
- Only unflavored option available on the market
- Unflavored means you can add any flavor and make it taste good
- No eggs or carbs in the ingredients sets it apart from other options
- Increasing lactose intolerance is also a feature of this powder
- Very high quality and the best tasting casein powder on the market.
- Does not mix well
- Doesn’t have a strong taste, unflavored means you will have to choose what you add to it.
Sugar or Artificial Ingredients.
For individuals that need to supplement their diet with Casein Protein, casein concentrate is an option that is lower in lactose than concentrates with 90% and higher, and it mixes easier and better than some others.
Pure Casein is a vegan product, it does not contain eggs or dairy. It provides slow and steady muscle building that is a benefit for individuals that require to keep high protein levels in their diet.
10. Naked Casein
- Flavor is mild and not chemical.
- Digestion is slow like milk, helps to keep you feeling full longer.
- Smooth texture
- Nutritional analysis is easy to find on the company website but is available at the Amazon listing.
- Texture is thick, about the consistency of half and half.
- Contains stevia, a very strong plant-derived sweetener. Stevia often tastes bitter. This product has a mild aftertaste that is less than pleasant.
11. True Nutrition Micellar Casein Protein
- No taste
- Easy to dissolve (instantized)
- 20g protein per scoop
- Great value
- Pharmaceutical grade quality
Does not mix well….needs to drink out of a shake type container
This is by far the best casein protein for beginners if you are looking for a product that is great for mixing with other types of proteins.
It is unflavored and contains only casein, Leucine, and Iso-Leucine. This is ideal for those who are sensitive to a sweet taste and also are looking to develop a high protein intake over the course of many months.
12. PROGENEX® Cocoon
- Mixes easily
- Free from artificial ingredients
- Helps sleep disorders
- Provides long-lasting energy
- Suitable for those with lactose intolerance
- Low sugar content
- Not good for those with soy allergies
The Progenex Cinnamon Cocoon is a protein powder with a casein base. It contains 25 grams of protein per serving and is fortified with glutamine. It offers a healthy alternative to other night time recovery options that include artificial ingredients.
The protein powder has a honey brown color and is a mix of sweet cream. It has a clean, pleasant taste that mixes easily with milk.
It contains all-natural ingredients without artificial colors, sweeteners, or preservatives. It is low in sugar, has no soy, and contains no artificial flavors or colors.
13. Adapt Hypernate Low-Carb Casein Protein Powder
- Low-Carb – just 1g of net carbs
- Whey and Casein blend
- Slow-release amino acid blend
- Delicious chocolate flavor
- Perfect for before bed
- Natural ingredients
- A little too much stevia, with 1g of stevia per serving.
- This is an above-average casein protein powder with satisfying protein scoop by scoop.
It offers a combination of casein and whey protein, both of which provide a range of benefits. It’s a 1:1 ratio, so the balance is great.
With only 1g of net carbs per scoop, it also has the benefits of being lower carb than some options. Lower carbohydrate intake is considered healthy and is advocated by many fitness experts.
This is a casein protein powder offering as part of a quality range of products by a cutting-edge supplement manufacturer. It’s made in the United States. It has a great taste. And can help you achieve a range of fitness goals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best whey and casein protein powder?
Depending on what you’re after, the best whey and casein protein powder will vary. Whey protein is the most popular because it is cheaper and very effective. Whey protein is the natural protein found in cheese, milk and other dairy products.
Casein protein, on the other hand, is a slower releasing protein. Most of the protein found in dairy products like milk and yogurt is casein protein. Because casein is slow releasing, it is great for bodybuilders looking for a sustained release of protein even when they are sleeping.
What is the best casein protein brand?
High-quality brands use the best forms of casein. It is the best-tasting when sweetened correctly and not over-processed. Casein is well absorbed by your body, even when mixed with water.
You’ll be able to sleep on your casein protein, taking advantage of this slow-digesting milk protein to keep your body fueled into the night, reducing the need for between-meal snacking.
What is the best casein protein powder? A good-quality creatine-free casein protein powder can be taken before bed to reduce cravings and keep you satisfied all night long. Try it with a healthy amino acid blend and glutamine for a premium casein protein powder that includes all the other amino acids. Mix with good calorie-free water enhancers and skim milk, coconut milk or almond milk to make a delicious high-protein shake.
Which protein powder is best for shredding?
For the most part, the protein powders with the highest protein content also taste the worst. Powders that are very high in protein are usually an extremely chalky or gritty consistency. That’s not to say there aren’t good tasting powders that have a great macronutrient profile, but they are rare.
For shredding, the best protein powders are 80% whey protein isolate. Whey isolate is pure protein and tends to produce a lot of foam when mixed. This can be a good thing or a bad thing because you need to know how to mix it properly to avoid an overly frothy protein shake.
What is the healthiest protein powder on the market?
According to many experts, whey protein is the healthiest protein powder you can consume. It is filled with amino acids and other nutrients that bodybuilders and athletes have relied on for decades. It does, however, have a few downsides.
As a whole protein, Whey contains all nine essential amino acids, which is important for those looking to gain or maintain lean muscle. A majority of protein powders have this essential amino acid content as a base. With Whey, however, the number of non-essential amino acids is also relied upon.
Just because the body can use some amino acids to build lean muscle doesn’t mean it needs all of the amino acids that it provides. The body cannot synthesize all nine essential amino acids from scratch, so we must get them from food or supplements.
Casein protein powders have an amazing versatility that makes them suitable for almost any fitness goal. The blend of high quality casein proteins with other natural ingredients makes them a powerful fitness supplement.
Casein protein benefits range from fat burning to muscle recovery. It is versatile in terms of the different methods it can be used.
Recommended casein protein powder products can fulfill all of these, and many more ideas.
Read more about the TOP 13 Best Casein Protein Powder Worldwide.
|Driven Casein||Best Overall|
|True Nutrition Micellar Casein Protein||Budget Pick|
|Naked Casein||Upgrade Pick|