The complexity of weighted barbells is what leads many to buy and use barbells within dedicated gyms. You may be surprised to find out, however, that there is a wide range of different barbells out there, and you can find some excellent ones for sale online at a price that is FAR cheaper than you’d expect.
In other words, it is possible to own your own set of barbells at home.
But how do you choose the right set to fulfill your goals?
How do you use these barbells to achieve the best results for your own needs?
How do you pick the right weighted barbells for home use?
All of these questions are important, and choosing the wrong barbells can be a waste of time and money. This article will show you how to choose the best set of barbells for home use and how to use them to get the results you want.
|US Weight Duracast||Best Overall|
1. US Weight Duracast
- 11 piece set
- Good quality
- Includes a stand for easy storage
- Deadlift camber, grip, and weight are on point
- Good for gyms
- Not the best for high-impact activities
- Very short bar
If you’re looking for the best Olympic barbell, the Duracast Giant Barbell Set is a good option. It’s a solid, 11-piece barbell set that will look great in your home gym.
Each barbell is 28 inches long and made from a solid mixture of resin and plastic. This is the perfect length for most exercises, though you might find yourself getting a little close to the rack when you are doing deadlifts. It’s very durable, impact resistant, and suitable for just about any Olympic weightlifting exercise, including squatting.
The barbell also comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can rest assured knowing that US Weight stands firmly behind their product.
2. Marcy 100lb. Vinyl Weight Set
You can really feel the difference between free weights and using these. Your muscles will be worked way more deeply and quickly
It comes in a heavy-duty nylon bag, which is easy for storage and transport.
Looking for a reliable set of weights? The Marcy 100lb. Vinyl Weight Set is a product that will provide you with the needed support when you start weightlifting.
3. 210 lb. Olympic Weight Set
- Very affordable price
- Available in a range of weights
- Great for light to medium loads, though not quite the right type for heavyweight lifting
- Each bar is 7 ft. long
- Good for warming up or general training
- Includes a tight spin collars
- Heavy-duty spring clips
- Can be used for deadlifts, squats, clean and jerks, bench presses, etc.
- Made of cast iron, not steel
- Lightness leads to a lack of durability
- Bar focuses on their barbells, their joint and grips tend not to be as sturdy as the nameplates
The 210-pound set of barbells from XMark is the perfect option for beginners to start bodybuilding training at home. It comes in bars with different weights and is the only set with which you can buy more weight. It may be a starter that sets the tone for high-end models later.
It is perfect for dumbbells, and since the plates come with rubber feet, you can use them for trap-bar deadlifts, too. The grips have the right dimensions, so you do not have to change them, and the collars are tight-fitting. Some customers use them to do squats and cleans, while others express dissatisfaction with the plates.
4. CAP Barbell Regular 110-Pound Weight Set
- Set includes bench, barbell, and weights
- Made out of cheap to medium quality steel, good for beginners or basic use
- Good for both both beginners and advanced users
- Ideal for home gym
- Has a 2-year warranty
- Not made from high-quality steel, the weight plates are made out of cast iron (barbell will rust)
- Weight plates are not as accurate as you would expect
Cap Barbell is the best budget priced barbell for home use. It’s made of medium quality low carbon steel with a weight capacity of 450 pounds. The weight plates are made out of cast iron.
It has 2 ends to try, the one end is a typical end with screw on weight plates and collars, the other end is a threaded end so you can screw on the collars instead of using them with a spring clip.
Ideal for both beginners and advanced users, the weight set is available in yellow, black, and grey color. It’s a great barbell set for the money, and it’s an excellent choice for an average workout, being both accurate and durable.
5. CAP Barbell 300-Pound Olympic Set
- Solid construction
- Olympic 7 feet bar included
- Variety of weights
- Rugged and compact storage
- 2" diameter solid steel bar
- Smooth ten needle bearings that ensure smooth operation of the bar
Very light weight plates of only 1.25" diameter, minimum bore size of 50 mm
Some people want more than an adjustable dumbbell set, and have an aspiration to own an entire home gym. If you are one of those people enthusiastic about getting your own barbell set, then this is the article for you.
This is an Olympic weight barbell set by CAP Barbell and we think it can be one of the best choices for you. This set comprises various sizes of bars and weights and it is ideal for the homes with frequent gym goers.
6. Gold's Gym 300 lb Olympic Barbell Weight Set
- Very portable/durable construction.
- A good starter weight set. Nice little barbell
- Great for the person friendly on a budget
- Good construction
- Great for women/light men
- Great entry level barbell.
- Supports all basic weight exercises.
- Nice spin when loaded
- Good quality
- Bar marks easily if not cleaned properly and is easily stained
- Hard to change weights due to pin-lock system
- Great quality barbell for the price.
- All steel/metal construction
- Great weight set for the price
This olympic barbell from Gold's Gym is a perfect set for beginners or light users. It preforms well and is a sturdy enough set for light use.
7. York 300 lb 2 G-2 International Olympic Set
- Well-balanced bar
- High-quality finish
- Sturdy construction
- Standard 2-inch center grooves
- 28 mm Olympic barbell features chrome plated shaft and zinc coated sleeves
- Stamped, not forged barbell
- Sleeves and ends are a bit rough
- Plates do have a bit of slop when dropped
The York International Olympic Bar is perfect for CrossFit, power lifting, and Olympic weightlifting. The bar is made using heat treated steel and features a stainless steel bushing rotation system. You should be able to use and abuse this bar without it showing much wear.
This bar is rated as a premium bar, which means it is an excellent bar at an excellent price. It’s also durable, has a bit of whip to it, and the sleeves provide a noticeable clink when you drop a plate. The bar isn’t too bendable but it will get some slight flex if you really try to bend it.
The york bar is a cast iron barbell that has a good grip, a good finish, and makes a nice sound when dropped on the floor. It’s not too loud and doesn’t feel cheap.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are dumbbells more effective than barbells?
Barbells are the best for strength training. They allow people to use more weight, thus challenging the muscles to work harder. I recommend using a combination of barbells and dumbbells if you have both. You can work the same muscles with a barbell, but it is safer to work the core of the body with dumbbells.
What is the best home weight set?
Instead of buying a complete barbell set which can be quite pricey for beginners or for those who are on a tight budget, they can choose to buy a weight plate in the weight they desire and use dumbbells for the rest as their savings allow.
However, it’s important to know that unless you get a 25.20kg (55 lbs) weight plate it can be the strain on the user. Also, to know how much weight you should be using before using this weight plate, you must convert the weight you plan to lift in pounds to kilo.
What is a good weight set for beginners?
Ask any experienced athlete and they'll tell you that beginner weight sets are not made for experienced lifters. The weight doesn't even feel right during lifts. So how do you know a good weight set for beginners?
Two things to consider:
What is the best Olympic barbell?
An Olympic barbell has the familiar 7-foot length and a weight capacity of 800 lbs. The sleeves are 2 inches in diameter, and the handles are 15 inches in length from end to end.
This type of barbell is specially designed to work with Olympic weight plates and Olympic style events. The sleeves can be easily changed to accommodate your specific workout depending on how much weight you want to lift.
When it comes to the best barbell set for home use, there are plenty of options to choose from. The first thing you need to decide is whether you want a plates with collars, or a barbell that doesn't have any.
If you want a barbell set that is affordable considering the quality, weight, and durability, you are not alone. There is a reason why barbells are the most popular fitness equipment, and why over 400 million can be found in gyms around the world.
|US Weight Duracast||Best Overall|